How to Complete the Employment Section

Before you start completing this section you’ll
need: Your payslips or a statement of your total
gross earnings for the year from each employer A record of any tips you received if it’s
not included on your payslips A record of any income that you received from
weekend or casual work Totals of any benefit in kind provided by
your employer Details of any employment expenses
The total amount of any contributions you’ve made into work pension schemes. This is usually
detailed on your payslip. One common question we get asked is “what
is my gross pay?” Your gross pay is your total salary including
allowances, overtime pay, commission, bonuses and any other amounts before any deductions
are made, such as social security contributions, pension contributions or tax.
It doesn’t include short term incapacity benefit or maternity benefit paid by social
security. However, if your employer pays you sick pay or maternity pay this is part of
your gross pay amount. If you need to check what is classed as taxable
employment income search ‘employment income and tax’ on
To start completing this section write the name of your employer and then the total gross
income from that job. You need to complete a line for each employer
you had in the year. Include all of your income from full time
and part time employment. If you don’t have enough room for all your
employers, then include an extra page. You can print this off from the website,’.
If you’ve received tips from your work that aren’t already included in your salary,
declare the total here. If you’ve received any income from casual
or weekend work, declare the total here. For most people it’s clear what their employment
status is, but if you’re not sure you can find more information on the website, by searching
for ‘self-employed or employee?’ If you’re self-employed you need to complete
the self-employment section on the full return. Benefits in kind are anything you receive
from your employer that is not paid for in the form of money. They’re also known as
employee benefits. The most common examples of taxable benefits
in kind you might receive are: Accommodation provided by your employer The personal use of a company car
Free or discounted shares and share options There are other taxable benefits in kind,
which your employer will tell you if you receive any.
If you receive taxable benefits in kind you need to enter the employer’s name, a description
of the benefit and the total value here. Your employer should tell you the taxable value
of any benefit in the same way as they tell you your taxable salary.
You can find more information on the website, by searching ‘benefits in kind’.
You can claim for expenses that you had to pay as a deduction from your employment income
if they are wholly and exclusively for the purposes of your employment.
Enter a brief description of the expense and enter the amount you are claiming here.
Don’t claim expenses that are not for your employment, or expenses that are refunded
by your employer. Specialised work clothing, such as chef’s
whites or protective steel cap boots worn by a builder are examples of clothing that
can be claimed as an expense. General clothing worn at work, including suits can’t be claimed.
You can also claim for professional subscriptions if they are work related. For example an accountant
can claim for paying a subscription to the institute of chartered accountants or teachers
and nurses can claim for paying a subscription to their professional body.
For more information about expenses go to and search ‘expenses’.
If you have paid into a pension scheme run by your employer enter the amount of those
contributions. You should be able to find the total you have
contributed into the scheme on you payslip. For more information about pension contributions
go to and search ‘claiming a deduction for your pension’.

You May Also Like

About the Author: Oren Garnes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *