Amber fort (also pronounced Amer fort) is
situated about 10 km away from Jaipur on Jaipur-New Delhi road. It was the capital of old Dhundar
state of Jaipur and was governed by Kachawaha rulers. The town was originally named Ambikeshwara
and was later abridged to Amber or Aamer. Amber fort complex mainly comprises Jaleb
Chowk, Singh Pol, Diwan-e-Aam, Diwan-e-Khaas, Ganesh Pol, Yash Mandir, Sukh Mandir, Suhag
Mandir, Shila Devi temple, Baradari, Bhool Bhulaiya, and Zanana Dyodi (women’s apartments).
During Jaipur Tour, one can experience the practical approach of Indian Vastu, architectural
excellence and beautiful stone carving work accomplished manually at Amber fort around
four centuries back. Amber fort of Jaipur is listed in World Heritage Sites of UNESCO
in June 2013. “Maavtha” lake at Amber fort is an abbreviated
form of the word “Mahawata” from the huge “wat” or banyan trees which grew on the edges
of the lake once a time. Mainly the rain water collects in the lake
flowing down from the nearby hills. The Dil-Aaram-Bag is situated on its northern end. The Kesar
Kyari (Saffron Flowerbeds) garden is in its middle. The lake was the main source of water for
the palace. It was drawn up by draught animals through the water lifting system located in
the south eastern portion
of the palace. Diwan-E-Aam (Hall of Public Audience) is patterned
after similar halls in Mughal palaces, the Diwan-E-Aam was the court where the Raja gave
audience to his subjects and met his officials. Festivities on certain special occasions,
like the celebrations following a victory in battle, Dussehra, the birthday of the Raja,
were held here. The building was constructed on the orders of Mirza Raja Jai Singh (1621-67
A.D.) in red sand stone and marble masonry. Beautifully ornamented in carved patterns
of elephant head and vines, the details are a charming confluence of the decorative features
found in the Mughal and Rajput styles of architecture. The distinctively constructed roof is supported
by two rows of columns. The outer ones, in coupled pairs, are of red sand stone and the
of cream marble. “Ganesh Pol” or the “Ganesh Gate” at Amber
fort provides access to the inner and private parts of the palace. Covered with frescoes,
it was constructed on the orders of Mirza Raja Jai Singh (1621-67 A.D.). Lord Ganesh is the deity who, it is believed,
removes obstructions likely to come in the way of human beings in their every-day life.
His likeness is therefore traditionally painted or placed over the main entry into a building. Ganesh Pol is one of the most beautiful parts
of Amber fort. Suhag Mandir is situated over the Ganesh Pol.
It was used as a chamber by the royal ladies to witness, through lattice screens, the state
functions held below in the Diwan-E-Aam. Diwan-E-Khas is one
of the top attractions of Amber fort of Jaipur.
It was constructed in 1623 A.D. during the reign period of Mirza Raja Jai Singh (1621-67
A.D.) and took six years in completion. It is for this reason also called Jai Mandir
and because of the beautiful mirror glass work in it, Sheesh Mahal or the Glass Palace.
The Raja met his special guests, like envoys from other rulers, here. The upper part of Diwan-E-Khas is known as
Jas Mandir (Yash Mandir) and is spell-binding in the intricate floral designs with glass
in them. Glass used in Sheesh Mahal was imported from Belgium in 1623 A.D. Zenani Deohri were Ladies Apartments at Amber
fort Jaipur for the queen-mothers and the Raja’s consorts lived in this part of the
palace which also housed their female attendants. Amber fort tunnel is always a big attraction
for tourists. Tunnels are to be found quite commonly in the palaces and forts of the medieval
period. They were used to conceal movement or to allow of escape when during a siege
the defenders were being pushed hard. Lying on the western side of the palace, the Amber
Palace tunnel connects it to the Jaigarh fort. It is subterraneous till a point near the
Rang Mahal. Thereafter, it runs, roofless, on the surface, up to Jaigarh.