Ruyi’s Royal Love in the Palace Episode 50 The Emperor is filial. I’m sixty years old and I could still see the scenery of Jiangnan. It’s just that I think, since we are here, why don’t we look at the lotus flowers before we leave? Empress Dowager is joking. Where would there be lotus flowers in spring? Indeed, there are lotus flowers. Empress Dowager is creative. The flourishing spring has stood still on the surface of the water, the ripples are causing colorful illusions. Empress Dowager has always known my wishes. Hundred acres of pool rippled by the light breeze. Ten miles of water surface full of lily fragrance. Look the those people within the lotus flowers, they are just like the flowers. What’s so surprising about that, Noble Consort Chun? This is just coquettish stuff for fun. Several well-decorated boats placed end to end. Bubbling with sounds of laughter and flutes. During the warm spring season, the fragrance of hundreds of flowers can be smelled. Come, Empress Dowager. Come. It is really there is heaven up in the sky, and there is Suzhou and Hangzhou below. Greetings, Empress Dowager. Greetings, Your Majesty. Greetings, Your Highness. Rise. Emperor, Imperial Concubine Mei was the one who was playing the pipa. Noble Lady Qing was the one who sang. Emperor, I fear, it has been a long time since you have seen them. You have already forgotten how talented they are. Noble Lady Qing, from which year did you since start serving His Majesty? Empress Dowager, it was the fourth year of Qianlong. It has been twenty years. I remember that when you started serving His Majesty, you couldn’t sing. I know that I’m not talented. I picked up this insignificant skill during the past twenty years to pass time. For those past years, I didn’t visit you. That’s why you sang to pass the time. His Majesty has always like new loves versus the old loves. He won’t disappoint you. Noble Consort, you are wrong in saying this. Ever since he came back for the inspection of the South, he has been pampering the Empress. Would he still remember what an old love is? There isn’t any new love at all. Her Highness has been infertile for a long time. how could the harem sire him any eldest sons? Empress Dowager, Consort Shu was just pregnant. I will not be lacking of any successors. If you have ample successors, this will be your blessings. Even more so, you have many consorts and concubines in your harem. You should not favor just a few. The Empress is always with you. It’s hard to see you. It’s really not appropriate too. If I don’t remind you, are you going to be wait till all the consorts and concubines are full with resentments before you change your mind? Empress Dowager, I know that I’m wrong. Handing the harem is your responsibility. I don’t need to remind you of this. It’s that you have been negligent. Empress Dowager, His Majesty and Her Highness have a good affection between them. I wouldn’t dare to complain. What your mouth says and what’s in your heart, I was also an Imperial Consort. How could I not know? Empress Dowager is right. It’s my fault. Imperial Concubine Mei and Noble Lady Qing are my beloved ones. Starting from today, I will take more notice of them. I won’t ignore those at the six palaces too. That’s good then. The wind is strong at the lake. Imperial Concubine Mei and Noble Lady Qing, stay here to accompany the Emperor. I’m going back first. Take care, Empress Dowager. Imperial Concubine Mei and Noble Lady Qing didn’t disappoint Empress Dowager’s hard work. Forget about Noble Lady Qing. Didn’t you see the the Emperor didn’t even look at Imperial Concubine Mei? He has become foolish. What a pity. If you didn’t use Imperial Concubine Mei as a foil, Noble Lady Qing is not that eye-catching. I put in a lot of efforts tonight to recommend Noble Lady Qing. I wonder if the Emperor understands my intention. He will understand. If Noble Lady Qing is still not good enough, Fujia, if there is anyone outstanding among the daughters of the officials, Keep an eye too on any who are outstanding. – Aren’t you Qi Wei?
– Yes. Greetings, Empress Dowager. It’s late. What are you doing here? His Majesty summoned me to check his pulse. He said that he has been feeling tired from the past few days. I have been waiting to attend to him till the banquet has ended. – Attend to him well.
– Yes. If there is anything not right, report to me. Empress Dowager, don’t worry. Imperial Physician Qi, the night banquet will end soon. Should I accompany you there? Fine. I will help you with this. You have worked hard. What is it now? Isn’t that Imperial Concubine Ling? Cheers. It’s really tedious tonight. Other than singing, there is a dance. They must be striving hard to gain favors. That’s why they needed to learn something unique to improve their singing and dancing skills. They have inferior complex. This is really not interesting. Imperial Consort Jia, don’t keep commenting about others. Thing about that year, didn’t you also did the drum dance, fan dance, play the flute and guzheng? Wasn’t it the same for each day? Mimicking someone’s idiosyncrasies but making a fool of oneself. Noble Consort Jia and I are middle aged women with charms. How can we compete with those nineteen or twenty year old girls? Even if they are copycats, they are very spirited and young. Their too delicate and sickly. How would they know how to serve? It’s still the seniors who have the charms. Excellent. It’s indeed original, as in a painting. Imperial Concubine Ling has improved. She’s not like the past when she only knew about bird nest’s powder. She didn’t even know the difference between white porcelain and white glaze. Your Highness, look at Imperial Concubine Ling’s performance. What do you think? It’s not easy to do something which His Majesty would like. Imperial Concubine Ling, come here. Yes, Your Majesty. I know that Your Highness loves green plums. Hence, I wanted to find some for contributions. But it was hard to find green plums. These are red plums instead. I hope they will bring smiles to your face. We haven’t seen each other for days. I didn’t expect you to be busy with this. I merely spend some time to bring smiles to Your Majesty and Your Highness. Imperial Concubine Ling, come and sit here. Yes. Imperial Concubine Mei and Noble Lady Qing could play musical instruments and dance. You could use the dance of the West Lake. It’t not easy to do. Thank you, Your Majesty, for your compliment. The Empress loves plum flowers. With regards to tonight’s dance, I think she’s happy with it too. Do you like plum flowers too? I like aster flowers. I liked it since I was young. It’s still the same now. The Empress and I like this too. Your Majesty, Empress Dowager reminds you to choose the card. Empress Dowager doesn’t want me to favor just a few and not to forget about old love. I remember this. I’m old. Your Majesty still let Noble Lady Qing serves you instead. Be done with me. I won’t be choosing the card tonight. I will let Imperial Concubine Ling serves me instead. Yes. Thank you, Your Majesty. Imperial Concubine Ling? What’s wrong? You don’t agree? How could I? Imperial Concubine Ling has worked hard at the dance for tonight. It’s getting late. Your Majesty and Imperial Concubine Ling, please rest early. I’m taking my leave. Fine. Everyone can leave. We are taking our leave. Noble Consort Chun, you gave birth to a son. That’s how you obtained this position. It will be the same for Imperial Concubine Shu too. Imperial Concubine Ling was a palace maid. Who gives her the right to succeed? The mantis stalks the cicada, unaware of the oriole is behind. [T/N : to pursue a narrow gain while neglecting a greater danger] That is her ability. I can see that she is very intelligent. Did the Empress Dowager tell you that Imperial Concubine Ling will be appearing today? Although you’re mighty, I’m afraid even you can’t hold her down. Noble Consort Jia, His Majesty exempted you from the punishment of kneeling at Fengxian temple. You should be more cautious. Yes. Talking about this, it’s interesting. Empress Dowager has never acknowledge Imperial Concubine Mei. She favored Noble Lady Qing today and involved Imperial Concubine Mei. Imperial Concubine Mei has regained favors again. She is lucky. Imperial Concubine Mei has been drinking herbal tea. Her health is not very good too. It will be hard for her to regain favors again. That’s right too. For the past years, looking at Imperial Concubine Mei, her temperament has been getting strange. I still remember. Ever since Empress Xiaoxian passed away that night, Imperial Concubine Mei has been acting strange. Her words have been bitter. I heard, as if there was sound of someone. Imperial Concubine Mei didn’t want to investigate it too. Or else, perhaps, Empress Xiaoxian could have been saved. Regarding this, why didn’t you and Consort Yu mention it? That day, when they found out that Empress Xiaoxian fell into the water, everyone was panicking. Would we still care about that? Today, if Imperial Concubine Mei and Noble Lady Qing didn’t show up together on the water, I would have forgotten about this matter. Your Highness, you shouldn’t listen to Noble Consort Jia but she said, it makes sense. Imperial Concubine Ling has been waiting to flatter you. Suddenly, out of nowhere she came up with such a big act. I think that no matter how deep Noble Consort’s thoughts are, we have encountered them. But we don’t know the depth of Imperial Concubine Ling’s thoughts Imperial Concubine Ling? By approaching me, Consort Ling wants to get close to his Majesty. She has already obtained His Majesty’s affection. She doesn’t need to be a hypocrite in front of me again. But you should still keep a watch on Imperial Concubine Ling. Your Highness, Xiao Ruizi is here. Isn’t he here in the capital to pass message to you regarding Imperial Concubine Yu? Why did he come here? Tell him to come in. Yes. Greetings, Your Highness. – Rise.
– Thank you, Your Highness. How are Imperial Concubines Yu and Shu doing? To answer your question, ever since they were driven away from the capital, Fifth Prince caught a cold. He kept coughing and doesn’t look good. Imperial Concubine Yu is anxious. She asked if Imperial Physician Jiang could take care of him. Of course, it’s urgent for Yongqi. What about Imperial Consort Shu? How is she? She is not doing well too. It’s quite late into her pregnancy, her hands and feet are swollen. They would swell. She needs to take medicine for diarrhea too. Furthermore, her kidneys are weak. She has been having yellow spots on her face, like those of a butterfly. Is it very bad and urgent? Your Highness, don’t worry. The physician said that other than her kidneys being weak, she is okay with regards to the rest. How could I not worry about Yongqi’s sickness and Consort Yu’s health? It’s normal for a pregnant woman to have weak kidneys. Sometimes, yellow spots will appear on the face too. But those are mostly mundane women, who haven’t been well taken care of. We shouldn’t take this lightly too. Dispatch Imperial Physician Jiang to the capital immediately. Yes. Mistress, why aren’t you asleep yet? So many events happened tonight. How could I sleep? You are worried about Imperial Concubine Ling? Perhaps, His Majesty will go back to how he used to be. He will favor her for a few months and discard her. What is there to worry about that traitor, Imperial Concubine Ling? What I’m more worried about, it’s Imperial Concubine Mei. Why are you worried about her? Don’t think that just because she’s quiet and sullen, she doesn’t know anything. We must keep a watch on them. Guard Ling, should we have drinks after our night duty? I can’t. I’m too tired tonight. Guard Ling, someone’s here. – Hurry up, catch him.
-Go after him. You did well. Is there any movement from Empress Dowager? No. This was an accident. Imperial Physician Qi’s family has been rewarded. They are grateful to you. Excellent. I don’t want to have a fall-out with her. I understand. Imperial Physician Jiang has returned to the palace to take care of Fifth Prince and Consort Shu. He will wait on you later. Those who wait on me, their medical skills are good but their hearts are not. We can use Jiang Yubin but he still need to be watched. Jiang Yubin was promoted by Her Highness. We still need to be careful. There are too few trusted people near me. Your Majesty, we have already taken care of the staff. Don’t think too much about this. Empress Dowager’s hands are too long. Initially, I thought she only placed some concubines near me in order to spy. I have been closing one eye regarding this. I didn’t expect that she would keep an eye on my Imperial Physicians too. Looks like I should manage the harem. Your Majesty, are you saying that Consort Shu… Consort Shu has been sincere towards me. I’m not made of stone. I understand this. As for the rest… Congratulations Mistress for getting promoted to the Consort position! Please accept our bow. All of you, get up. Thank you, Mistress. Mistress, presently, the ones in the Consort position are Consort Yu, Consort Shu, and you. Consort Ling… I’m still not used to such an address. In the future, it will become Noble Consort Ling, Imperial Noble Consort Ling. I’m going to climb up step by step. Oh, right. How is the palace? Everything was done appropriately. They won’t find any tracks. That’s good then. Greetings, Consort Ling. Consort Ling, I wish you good health. – Jinzhong, you’re here. Chunchan, serve the teas. I won’t drink the tea anymore. His Majesty asked me to relay you a message. He is granting Your Highness a pair of gold bracelets and jade hair pins. His Majesty kept giving you gifts. He really loves you. Leave now. I still have one more message. It’s a private message. Mistress Ling was able to be favored and get promoted to Consort because of Empress Dowager wanting to promote Noble Lady Qing and this made His Majesty unhappy. You are indeed quite fortunate. Mistress Ling, you must remember that you can disregard anyone. Her Highness Empress is currently greatly favored and she heads the imperial harem. You must not easily create conflict with her. This Empress kept ignoring my fawning and deliberately distanced herself from me. So hateful. Looks like, I can only rely on myself. There’s no use relying on Empress. Of course. For Empress, we can depend on her if we can. If we can’t, we still must not turn hostile with her. Don’t forget that you’re still a servant. I have sincere feelings towards Mistress Ling. I know how to do those courtesy and fawning. You helped me this time and I’ll remember it. Oh, right. That Ling Yunche… What do you want to say? I still haven’t said anything. Why are you getting agitated? Could it be that you still haven’t forgotten him? Stop with your nonsense. I am the consort of His Majesty. He is just a guard. I want to say that Ling Yunche discovered that Imperial Physician Qi is dead. Jinzhong, you think that other than the government and descendants, what does His Majesty care about the most? Good luck. Yongqi still has colds, while Conosrt Shu is edematous from her pregnancy. I’ve already ordered Jiang Yubin to rush back to the capital. Jiang Yubin is meticulous and steady. I am also at ease for him to take care of them. Yes. It’s just that Imperial Physician Qi just died and Jiang Yubin rushed back to the palace. There is no more accomplished doctor by your side taking care of you. It’s alright. I am fine. Once Consort Shu and Yongqi are safe and sound, we can just ask Jiang Yubin to return to serve me. Okay. Talking about Imperial Physician Qi, I was indeed a bit shocked. Imperial Physician Qi has served you for so many years and he is very knowledgeable in medicine, but he accidentally slipped and fell into the water, causing his death. It’s really too bad. Regarding Qi Ru’s matter, I also was surprised and refusing to believe it. No matter how good the skill are of a doctor, it’s easy to treat others, but his own sickness, aging, and death is not up to himself. That’s right too. Your Majesty, one more thing. Noble Lady Qing has served you for so many years and never did anything wrong. She should be promoted to an Imperial Consort position. Even Wei who has no children is now a Consort, but you kept delaying the matter of Noble Lady Qing. Wei getting promoted to a consort is just because I don’t want Royal Mother publicly intervening with our matters. Because of anger, I promoted her. Royal Mother is the Empress Dowager. It’s just right for her to care about your harem. Your Majesty acting rashly against Royal Mother will one, disrespect Royal Mother. Second, this will also affect the harmonious relationship between the two of you. Fine, promoted Lady Lu to an Imperial Concubine then. But I’m doing this not for Royal Mother, it’s taking pity on Noble Lady Qing for being in the palace for so many years and giving considerations on your thoughts and plight Thank you Your Majesty for understanding. Greetings, Consort Ling. Yes, Her Highness Empress is inside. It is ancestral laws that once you got promoted in harem status, you should pay respect to Empress Dowager, the Emperor, and the Empress. Now that we’re in a temporary palace, although the rules are not as strict as in the main palace, I still must abide. Yes. Your Highness, please go inside. Have you appropriately arranged the matters there? All are appropriately taken care of. Mistress Ling, no need to worry. Your Majesty, Consort Ling is here to see you. – Let her in.
– Yes. Greetings, Your Majesty and Your Highness Empress. Get up. Why are you here? I received your graces and was fortunate to become a consort. This morning, I went to visit Empress Dowager. I then thought of visiting Empress. After arriving at Biwu Pavilion, I learned that Her Highness Empress is here. I then especially came to thank the two of you. May Your Majesty and Your Highness Empress accept my grand bow. Consort Ling. We still haven’t performed your conferment ceremony, so just spare the bows. Yes. Thank you, Your Majesty. Please sit down. Thank you, Your Highness Empress. I heard that we’re going north to Jiangning. I have limited experience. The scenery here in Hangzhou has already opened my eyes wide. What kind of great scenery is there in Jiangning? How could Consort Ling have limited experience? The wonderful scenery of the West Lake couldn’t compare to the dream-like state of your dance. Your Highness Empress, you’re making fun of me. I was just taking advantage of the situation. I just want to make His Majesty and you smile. How could it compare to the real beauty of the West Lake? How could it really catch the attention of the His Majesty and you? Your Majesty, Astronomer Qin asks for an audience. Why is he suddenly asking for an audience? Maybe because Your Majesty brought graces to Jiangnan, the astrological image have shown an auspicious sign. Okay. Let’s hear it together then. – Bring him here.
– Yes. Greetings, Your Majesty. Greetings, Your Highness Empress and Consort Ling. How is the astrological image? Your Majesty, after the strange astronomical phenomena during the 13th year of your reign (1748), everything has been quiet. Today, I saw that a small star near the Purple Star that is in conflict with the latter, showing signs of contradicting its good fortune. I was frightened, so I especially reported it to you. Your Majesty, the purple star is the emperor star. If the little star is contradicting its good fortune, that’s contradicting your good fortune. This little start is inauspicious. It actually formed by separating from the purple, like a imperial child being born. If that’s the case, it means that the child is bad luck for the father. What you mean is among my children, there is someone that’s unfilial and disloyal to me? No… As long as you two don’t see each other, the child won’t affect you. Now that Your Majesty is not in the palace, I fear that this little star has already brought bad luck to a prince with a poor fate. What kind of bad luck? The least will just be getting sick. Worst is dying. If it contradicts Your Majesty’s fate, that is also what will happen. Could it be what Jianzheng is taking about is the child in Consort Shu’s womb? Consort Ling, are the imperial descendants something that you can comment about? Yes. Okay. Leave first. Thank you, Your Majesty. Consort Ling, leave too. Yes. Your Majesty, the astronomical phenomenon of heaven can’t be fully believed. You are the son of heaven. Your child won’t be able to overcome you too. I know that Consort Shu’s child is also my child. How could I not want the child? You are thinking too much into this. Let Jiang Yubin focus on taking good care of Yongqi, and Consort Shu too. Yes. Your Majesty, you are thinking too much into this too. Greetings, Imperial Concubine Ling. Rise. Thank you, My Lady. You talked very well. Fortunately, I found someone loyal like you. Since Seventh Prince and Empress Xiaoxian passed away, His Majesty believes in astronomical phenomenon. Although there is no public stand today but they do have to mind about it. but for the hard work that you did today, I will protect you from the worries. I will depend on your care then. Yellow spot like the butterfly? Lord Jiang, it has been tough for you to rush here. This is simple and crude. I brought you some food. Please enjoy these. Okay, place these here. You can leave. Has yellow spots like a butterfly? Please enjoy. Could it be caused by weak kidneys? [Zhuxiu Palace] Mistress. Your swelling has reduced. It seems like the medicine is effective. – Imperial Physician.
– Here. Can the spots on my face be treated? Consort Shu, this arose from the pregnancy. There is nothing I can do about it. – Leave.
– Yes. Mistress, Jiangning Palace is on Qixia Mountain. It’s more beautiful than Hangzhou Palace in West Lake. Mistress. Jianging Weavers sent some valuable brocades. We have already sent them to Yanjin Pavilion. Why did Jiangning Weavers send the brocades to me? His Majesty ordered them to make these for the 60th birthday of Empress Dowager to use as clothes. You should know how smart they are. They left some for you to show filial piety. Consider that they are smart. Lord Ling. Greetings, Consort Ling. Ever since I was conferred as the consort, you haven’t congratulated me. Congratulations, Consort Ling. Is your congratulations sincere? If you don’t have any further instructions, I will take my leave first. Lower the sedan. Come follow me. I will walk alone. Mistress. Is Mistress troubled by Guard Ling? Now that you are the consort, stop thinking about him. You may not know but looking at how cold he was towards you, I don’t feel happy at all. Could it be after that incident… Greetings, Consort Ling. What are you doing here? I’m here to congratulate you on His Majesty’s behalf. When I saw you talking with your previous love, Guard Ling from afar, I didn’t dare to disturb you. I was waiting here to attend to you. You saw wrongly. How could be he my previous love? Stop hiding it. I already know about your previous love with Ling Yunche. Looking at how you were just now, you still have feelings for him. Why would I miss him? That’s good then. I’m just afraid of your confrontation with him for your getting close to His Majesty. He works for His Majesty every day. Aren’t you afraid that he would spread rumors to His Majesty? As insurance, it’s still better to get rid of him. Look at you. I merely said a few words and you are so panicky. Ling Yunche is grateful to Her Highness. If we want to get rid of him, I fear that it will be hard to get past the Empress. Is that so? Also, don’t forget about our agreement. Only when you learn from Li Yu and move away from him, you will then be able to climb to the top. Ling Yunche has never been your stumbling block. He is not your obstacle. Ling Yunche has never been my stumbling block. It’s you instead. I… The blade that will stab the heart has never been in the hands of the enemies. It’s that person who is closest to you and also your most beloved one. Ling Yunche knows too many of your secrets. If he were to randomly say a few words to His Majesty, will you still be able to live? No, he wouldn’t. Whether he will or not, you know it very well in your heart. Ling Yunche is not like the guard he used to be. You abandoned him for wealth and luxury. Wouldn’t he do the same thing by betraying you too? Mistress Ling, you should think about this. Ling Yunche was promoted by Her Highness. If you were to fight for favors and have a fall-out with Her Highness, when that time comes, Ling Yunche will definitely betray you. Your hard efforts will go to waste then. You fear that Li Yu would block me. He has the trust of His Majesty and the support of Her Highness too. If you want to go against him, there’s no hurry. But regarding Ling Yunche, if you are soft-hearted, you will only be harming yourself. ♫ Being your favorite and being forgotten both are argued in my heart, at a loss to arrive at an explanation. ♫ ♫ You bear witness to constant changes in my well-being, my sorrows and my joys, the path of my dreams forever cut off. ♫ ♫ You draw my hand to embroider all alone in my loneliness, silken clothes pile up under the moonlight. ♫ ♫ Telling myself they might be used for warmth, but who would dare? ♫ ♫ Whose life after life is filled with paired images of love and resentment? ♫ ♫ One side is beautiful, the other expressionless and silent. ♫ ♫ From a distance, visits come around without word of your approach, ♫ ♫ filling time between acts perhaps? ♫ ♫ Feelings fracture, forgive and wistfully anticipate, forgetting they’re part of the paired image, ♫ ♫ One day in cold indifference, the next in warm recollection. ♫ ♫ If only we might perpetually walk in the brilliant sunlight ♫ ♫ This lifetime has been so dismally overcast. ♫ ♫ From now on, this lifetime will be… ♫ ♫ without clouds. ♫