♫ The sounds from the sheng and xiao die away in the distance, in the sparse, declining light ♫
(T/N reed instrument made of vertical pipes; end-blown flute) ♫ Memories of my past, my companions in youth. ♫ ♫ Over boundless years, old affairs have become difficult to recall. ♫ ♫ I’ve used a lifetime of truth to put up a pretense. ♫ ♫ Parting without opening these cupped hands full of tears. ♫ ♫ Clears my vision and permits me to resist ♫ ♫ Perhaps when targeted by love it is not wise to separate ♫ ♫ The morning wind can not dispel the aftermath. ♫ ♫ Whose hidden tears made the blooming flowers blush, ♫ ♫ And in the desolate and dreary torrential storms to painfully droop low, ♫ ♫ Unwilling to blossom again alone? ♫ ♫ The coming day belongs to the young. ♫ ♫ As the glimmer of dawn becomes again the setting sun. ♫ ♫ Who is this person who does not sleep soundly in the middle of the night? ♫ ♫Sitting and watching the autumn wind puff out and penetrate the palace curtains. ♫ ♫One strand held in remembrance, shackling sentiment and concern. ♫ ♫ Always submerged in the fragrant incense of fleeting time ♫ Ruyi’s Royal Love in the Palace Episode 8 Greetings, Elder Sister Consort Xian. With such chilly weather, why did you come? I initially planned to go visit First Class Attendant Hai. I heard from Yexin that she’s still sleeping, so I came to visit you first. With that commotion last night, everyone heard it, but none were willing to go out and uphold justice. Fortune and misfortune go together. Good thing First Class Attendant Hai has moved out of Xianfu Palace.
[ Kexin ] It can be said that her suffering didn’t go in vain. It’s just that Sister Consort Xian, why go through the trouble to offend that Xianfu Palace? Hai Lan was being treated unfairly. I couldn’t bear to watch. Hai Lan was indeed accused wrongly, but if this case was investigated further, everyone will look bad. Hence, His Majesty still gave Noble Consort steps to go down to. But look at you, dizzy and having a stuffy nose. You should light more brain-arousing Tibetan incense. This agarwood scent is too light and it’s so dark. In the whole palace, only you like to use that. I just love the scent of agarwood. Agarwood is like a settling stone. If our hearts can just be a bit like submerging agarwoood incense, you won’t get afraid no matter how chaotic it is outside. I’ll make it lighter then. Mistress, Noble Lady Jia is here to see you. Your Highness the Noble Consort, I brought you high-quality mountain ginseng from our Yu clan. It’s good for nourishing your health. Thank you, Noble Lady Jia. Come over here to sit. Thank you, Your Highness the Noble Consort. What’s wrong with you? What’s wrong with me? Whenever I remember what happened last night, I get so mad. I was thinking of coming over yesterday to join in the fun, to look at how embarrassing First Class Attendant Hai is. Later on, I heard that His Majesty came. I then didn’t dare to go anymore. But going back to it, how come His Majesty didn’t side with you? He cares about me, that’s why he kicked that Hai Lan out of here. But that bitch was let off too lightly. She now gets to be with that Consort Xian. Your Highness the Noble Consort, you just shot yourself in the foot. Empress is virtuous. Even if she’s on your side, she won’t openly help you. Just drop it. It’s just one First Class Attendant and the days are still long. Are you afraid that you won’t be able to eventually deal with her? But your cold illness, is it serious? A bit of cold illness isn’t really a big deal. But being unable to vent this anger, plus His Majesty not allowing me to serve him for three months… thinking of all this is making my chest hurt. You’ve beaten up First Class Attendant Hai and tormented Consort Xian. That’s already venting your anger. Why still feel stuffed in the chest? You even are laughing at me! Wasn’t this all your idea? Your Highness Imperial Concubine Chun. Mistress, First Class Attendant is awake and her fever is gone. – Let’s go over and check her.
– Okay. Mistress Chun, I fear that First Class Attendant Hai doesn’t want to see anyone. At broad daylight, she had the curtains pulled and hid under her blanket, not moving at all. I’ll just visit her once she’s better. That’s good too. Sister, I won’t disturb you anymore. Okay. Walk slowly on your way back. I will take my leave. Let’s go look at Hai Lan. I feel that it’s not enough to let Yexin be the only one to serve her. I can’t dare use the people sent by the Inner Palace. We can’t have another Xiangyun. Mistress, don’t worry. I’ve already sent Zezhi to her place. That servant is very honest. She’s an old maid of ours. What’s the use of just being concerned with other people’s matters? Mistress, if you ask me, Xiangyun usually was very quiet. After getting bribed, she immediately could open her mouth and bite her mistress. Our palace mustn’t have such kind of person. In our palace, other than you two and Sanbao, you must continue to be vigilant of the others. Of course. I will be meticulous in observing them. Mistress, I’ve brought you your medicine. Quickly drink it. It’s me, Hai Lan. Sister, why must they do that? I feel so embarrassed to see anyone now. Things are now in the past. No, they’re not. Whenever I close my eyes, I can see so many eyes looking at me. They are looking at me barefooted and being punished. They are watching me getting falsely accused of stealing. They watched my clothes getting stripped open. So many servants, all looking at me. Hai Lan. Hai Lan, we’re currently in the Imperial harem. As the days pass, we must become more sensible. But I don’t understand anymore. Why must they be like this? For people living in the palace, what haven’t they endured? What tricks can they not employ? Last night , when I got splashed by that cold water, I was so mad. But what’s the use of getting mad? Everyone thinks that I suffered grievances in Xianfu Palace. The more then that I won’t feel aggrieved. For things that are hard to endure, clench your teeth, smile, and just endure for a while, then think of a way after. If you give it too much importance, others will just treat you as a joke. If you cheer yourself up and be indifferent about it, no one can do anything to you. I can’t do it. I can’t do it, Sister. Mistress. His Majesty asks that you immediately see him in Yangxin Palace Hall. Last night, you suffered a lot. His Majesty must be calling you to go to Yangxin Palace Hall so he can comfort you. Did he give any reason? The eunuch that came to promulgate the decree seems to be new on the job. He just said that there’s an urgent matter and that you should hurry. I got it. Hai Lan, I already told you what should be said. I was able to save you last night, but I may not be able to do it every time. Think about it. Serve First Class Attendant Hai to drink her medicine. Yes. Li Yu, what’s wrong? Mistress Xian. I committed a mistake, so I got punished. How come you’re being punished this gravely? These broken bricks are very painful. What’s going on? Mistress Xian, don’t ask anymore. I am just being punished by my Teacher. Mistress Xian, quickly go in. It’s too cold out here. After kneeling, come to Yanxi Palace. I’ll tell Suoxin to prepare some medicines. Your Highness the Consort Xian, you’re here. Quickly go in. How come you’re talking with a servant out here? How come Li Yu is kneeling there? He? When he was serving His Majesty, the tea he served was a bit too hot and it burned His Majesty’s tongue a little. Shouldn’t he be punished? Your Highness the Consort Xian, let’s just go inside. Don’t bother yourself with matters about servants anymore. Please. You said it right. All are servants. Who is different from whom? Your Majesty and Your Highness the Empress, Her Highness Consort Xian is here. Greetings to Your Majesty and Your Highness the Empress. Rise. Thank you, Your Highness the Empress. Quickly sit down. Consort Xian, after last night’s matter, are you and First Class Attendant Hai both well? Your Majesty, I’m fine. It’s just that First Class Attendant Hai got frightened badly. The wound on her feet must be tended closely. Since she’s now in your palace, try to provide more care and tell her to be more at ease. Stop thinking about the past. I will take good care of First Class Attendant Hai. Empress, please talk. Second Class Attendant Mei has been refusing to see you for five or six days now. After lunch today, Second Class Attendant Mei came to see me and asked me to look at her face. I’m unable to make any conclusion, hence, I can only bring her here to see you. Sulian, go ask Second Class Attendant Mei to come here. Let her tell her grievances by herself. Your Majesty, this Second Class Attendant Mei kept crying. I was thinking that when Second Class Attendant Mei got slapped, Consort Xian personally saw it and even escorted her back to Yonghe Palace. Hence, I asked His Majesty to urgently call for you to come here. May Your Majesty look at her face first. Greetings to Your Majesty, Your Highness the Empress, and Consort Xian. – Rise.
– Thank you, Your Majesty. What’s going on? You just got slapped a few times. It should have healed already. How come it’s getting worse? That surely wasn’t a result of the slapping her face. It must be that she used the wrong medication or that she didn’t watch what she’s eating. I love my beauty so much and don’t dare to destroy it for it might anger Your Majesty. It’s my fault for offending Noble Consort. I also endured getting hit by her. It’s just that I’ve already been eating light and bland food, and applying the medicines on time. But…my face keeps getting worse. I’m panicking and very scared, and couldn’t dare to see you. I could only go to Her Highness the Empress to vent my complaints. I already asked the people attending to Second Class Attendant Mei, and they all said that she was very careful in her food. Even for water, she especially used barley water that has anti-swelling effect. What medicine did you use? I got it from the Bureau of Imperial Physician. They said that after slapping me, Noble Consort was willing to patch up our quarrel. Hence, she especially had that drug delivered to express her apology. Did you bring the medicine with you? Replying to Your Majesty and Your Highness the Empress, I got this medicine from the Bureau of Imperial Physicians. I was also there that day. For a harmonious relationship between the six palaces, I urged Noble Consort to deliver some medicines to Second Class Attendant Mei. It’s also me who asked Sulian to get the medicines under the name of Noble Consort. – Wang Qin.
– I’m here. Qi Ru earlier has checked my circulation. Is he still around? Replying to Your Majesty, Imperial Physician Qi is currently in the side room drafting the prescription for your winter supplementation. Tell him to come here and check this medicine. Yes. Mistress, drink some porridge. Where is Sister? Has she returned? Mistress, Mistress Xian has just left for a short while. Don’t panic. She has been gone for a long time. Say, could it be Your Majesty has blamed Sister for what happened last night? Mistress, you’re overthinking. Yexin, go and check it. – Mistress.
– Quickly go. Yes. Replying to Your Majesty and Your Highness the Empress, this medicine indeed came from the pharmacy of the Bureau of Imperial Physicians. It’s just that some leadwort powder was added into it. (T/N aka the “white flower” shrub leaves, Plumbago zeylanica) What’s that medicine for? Replying to Your Majesty, this leadwort powder is from a half-shrub herb that grows in the south. It’s usually not used alone because it’s poisonous, especially during skin contact. Your Majesty, I didn’t know who I offended that she would order Sulian to bring me that medicine to harm me. May Your Majesty investigate it properly. Although I indeed was the one who asked Sulian to deliver the medicine, if I was the one who did this intolerable act, I wouldn’t have brought Second Class Attendant Mei here to Yangxin Palace Hall and instead done all within my means to stop her from coming here. Empress, please sit first. Thank you, Your Majesty. Empress is virtuous. I know that in my heart. But Sulian… Your Majesty, please investigate it clearly. It was indeed I who claimed the medicine that day and personally delivered it to Second Class Attendant Mei, but I dare not put any additional item into that medicine! Oh, right. That day, my wrist just happened to have an injury. The Imperial Physicians then instructed me to get some of this medicine and apply it on my injury. They said that it has a blood-clotting effect. When I applied it, nothing strange happened to me. When you rubbed it on you, nothing happened. Sulian, carefully think about it again. That day, on your way to deliver it, did anyone else touch the medicine? No one anymore. I rushed to delivered it. Upon reaching Yonghe Palace, only Consort Xian was there. After delivering the medicine, I already went back. Yes. That day when Sulian delivered the medicine, Her Highness Consort Xian kept me company for a while and then left. Afterwards, no one else came to visit me. I remember. That day, Her Highness Consort Xian indeed opened this ointment. Second Class Assistant Mei, I opened that box of medicine that day to help you confirm if it was a medicine to treat swelling. Also, it was you who asked me to stay and check it for you. May I ask Consort Xian, other than you that day, is there anyone else who had the chance to touch this ointment? Everyone has an envious heart. I also know that since I earned His Majesty’s favor, people have been coveting to bring me harm. Never thought that person would be you. Second Class Attendant Mei, you clearly saw what I did and didn’t do that day. If you want to falsely accuse me like that, I don’t know anymore what to say. Your Majesty, in receiving this kind of humiliation, Consort Xian surely is involved. May Your Majesty investigate it! Your Majesty, since a thing like this happened and Second Class Attendant Mei’s face got harmed because of it, I have to investigate it. Being envious is a grave crime among the Imperial Harem and there was even covert harming like this that happened. It is my fault for not strictly disciplining the harem. Empress indeed has committed lapses, but the crime wasn’t done by you. Consort Xian, whether it was done by you or not, you should still undergo interrogation. How about this? You all go back to your palaces first. I will let the Jingji Momo of the Office of Careful Punishment interrogate you. (T/N top momo, “watch mother”) Yes. The Shenxing Si (Office of Careful Punishment) is in charge of the punishment of the Imperial Harem, from imperial concubines to the palace servants. As long as someone commits a mistake and needs to be interrogated, he or she must go there. Of course, if you didn’t commit a crime, then good. If you did, it can’t be helped for you to go to the Office of Careful Punishment. I’m willing to go to the Office of Careful Punishment to prove my innocence. But may His Majesty clearly remember that I didn’t do it. Once the matter is investigated, things will become clear. But remember, Consort Xian mustn’t be intensely questioned. She mustn’t be harmed by a bit. How then will we be able to find it out? If Consort Xian was the one who did it, she surely will show some inconsistencies. The Jingqi Momo is very good in interrogating. They won’t be deceived. Your Majesty! Your Majesty! Your Majesty, it’s impossible for Sister to have done this case. – Hai Lan?
– Your Majesty, it’s really not Sister who did this. – Why are you here?
– Your Majesty, First Class Attendant Hai has been here for a while.
[ Jinzhong, Eunuch serving in Yangxin Palace Hall ] Because she heard that Your Majesty is here inside interrogating, she just stayed by the door and didn’t come in. First Class Attendant Hai has just hurt her feet and her body is weak. Why didn’t you stop her? I really couldn’t stop her. First Class Attendant Hai, how come you’re sure that it wasn’t Consort Xian who did it? Because the fragrance pouch of Consort Xian has no leadwort, how then could she have harmed anyone? No leadwort? Qi Ru. Replying to Your Majesty, the color of leadwort is blue-green. This is deep red, and seems to be powder made from grounded sargent gloryvine stems. (T/N Sargentodoxa cuneata) – What’s going on?
– Replying to Your Majesty, that day, I saw that the sewing work on the fragrance pouch delivered to Sister by the Inner Palace was done very coarsely. I then took them back with me and resewed them. However, when I opened it, I discovered that the Inner Palace did a half-hearted job by sending a second-grade leadwort (“white flower”) with such poor color. Consort Xian lives in Yanxi Palace, which is quite remote and cold. That leadwort will surely not work. Coincidentally, I have sargent gloryvine stem in my room. Its effect is similar to leadwort, which is removal of humidity and opening up one’s vital channels. Hence, I replaced the leadwort with sargent gloryvine stem. Since Sister Consort Xian doesn’t have any leadwort, how could she have harmed anyone? Since sargent gloryvine’s effect is similar to leadwort, who knows if it’s also poisonous or not? Your Majesty, sargent gloryvine stem isn’t poisonous and won’t damage one’s face. Your Majesty, if you still don’t believe me, you can carefully investigate. I…actually feel grateful to the Inner Palace for belittling Sister. This allowed Sister to escape this disaster. This is shameless bullying of others to increase your status. How can it be so bad? – Wang Qin.
– Here. – Investigate this.
– Yes. Consort Xian, take a seat first. You have suffered because of this. I will fully investigate this. Thank you, Your Majesty. First Class Attendant Hai, you usually don’t say much. I didn’t expect you to be exceptionally brave today. Replying to Your Majesty, it’s not that I’m exceptionally brave. Consort Xian has been fighting to prove my innocence. I’m also desperately trying to prove her innocence. Looks like letting you live in Yanxi Palace has allowed you two to take good care of each other. Your Majesty, I will definitely investigate this in order to clean up the palace and correct the governance. Regarding this matter, you were almost blinded by the Noble Consort, Empress. I think this should be left to Consort Xian to investigate. The harem will be busy with trivial matters and it’s also nearing year end. – You should concentrate on other matters instead.
– Yes. Consort Xian. No matter what the outcome is from this investigation, you will have the final say. Yes. Qiru, check if Second Class Attendant Mei can avoid being permanently scarred. Your Majesty, please don’t worry. I will ensure that the physician treats her carefully. Fortunately, the amount of leadwort (white flower) was not that much. She didn’t use it for more than six days. She probably can be cured. She probably won’t be scarred. First Class Attendant Hai, you must take good care of your health. Consort Xian, I will order the physician to treat your cold. Yes. You can leave now. We are taking our leave. You are not afraid anymore? If I continue to be afraid, and they do whatever they want to me, I will only force myself to die. Elder Sister, whatever you’ve taught me, I remember it. Remember to get the medication from Yanxi Palace. Thank you, Mistress. Endure it for the time being. Be careful when you come. I understand. [ Yangxin Palace Hall ] Although this matter started with Noble Consort Hui being too reckless, Second Class Attendant Mei is also fragile. As for you, before you fully investigated this, you already suspected Consort Xian. I know that work at the harem is complicated but everything should be dealt with fairly. I was shocked when I saw Second Class Attendant Mei’s face. Consort Xian also successively got dragged into disputes. Hence, I was anxious. Do you think she wanted to stir up troubles for herself? You are the Empress. You are the Mistress of the Inner palace. When you are in this seat, you must be calm and not overly-anxious. I’m rash and careless in doing my task and not steady enough. I will be extra careful in the future. I still have more important work to do tonight. You can go back first. Yes. Your Highness the Empress. Greetings, Your Highness the Empress. – Rise.
– Thank you, Your Highness. Your Highness the Empress, your complexion doesn’t look too good. The weather lately has been drastically changing. Your Highness must watch your health. With the weather being this cold, it’s making one’s heart chill. Changchun Palace has spring all year round. The favor and doting of His Majesty here last forever. His Majesty has warm affection towards you. Noble Consort Hui was careless and took drastic actions. She forced First Class Attendant Hai and Consort Xian to gang up with each other. And then she hit Second Class Attendant Mei, causing me trouble. Talking about this, it’s strange too. What’s going on with Second Attendant Mei’s face? There was no problem with the ointment which I delivered to her. But if Consort Xian and the Noble Consort didn’t do anything, something’s really fishy. Could it be Second Attendant Mei who did it herself? It can’t be. As a concubine, who would want to ruin her own face? Regardless of who did it, Consort Xian benefited from it again. She wasn’t successful in becoming the official wife. Her heart must be full of hatred. She may want to be on the same level as Your Highness the Empress. Who knows. Regarding this incident at Xianfu Palace, His Majesty is giving her his full protection. In Second Class Attendant Mei’s matter today, he also was siding with Consort Xian. Your Highness, what are you afraid of? You are the official wife. You also have Third Princess and Second Prince. Your main family is an influential clan. His Majesty respects and attaches importance to you. With this mouth of yours, no wonder His Majesty likes you. Since Your Highness’ heart has been lightened, I will take my leave then. Fine. I want to use this incident regarding Second Attendant Mei to clean up the harem. I don’t want His Majesty to think that I’m sloppy and careless. And also that I’m not good enough. Eunuch Wang took this rouge box from the palace. He specifically wanted me to hand it over to you. I already have this. Why does he always want me to accept this privately? Stop helping him. Take this back. What are Lianxin and Zhao Yitai doing over there? Your Highness, you may not know. It was Eunuch Wang who instructed Zhao Yitai to bring this to her. This is already not the first time. Wang Qin is interested in Lianxin? We can make good use of Wang Qin. We should control him. But he is not considered a man, or else marrying Lianxin to him is quite a compatible match. Mistress, Liyu is here. Eunuch Liyu, what’s wrong? It’s nothing. Why aren’t you coming here? Consort Xian, I was afraid that you are busy. If I’m afraid of doing this, I wouldn’t have called you. Come here. Slowly. Take your time. If you are shy, just do it yourself. Why would you be afraid of me? Raise it. Yes. How long did you kneel? I knelt for two hours on broken bricks. After that, I knelt for another hour in iron chains. Why? There was one duty, where I showed some skills and earned His Majesty’s liking. It included the incident where you went to Xianfu Palace and I informed His Majesty about it. Deputy Eunuch Wang wasn’t happy for not giving him that opportunity. He punished me ruthlessly. Mistress Xian! This is top-quality white flower powder from Yunnan. It’s great in stopping the bleeding and dispelling the clot. Mistress Xian, your hands are precious. You mustn’t do such things for me. If you want to serve at His Majesty’s by tomorrow, be good and let me apply the powder. See how blessed you are. Thank her now. Thank you, Consort Xian. You don’t need to thank me. I should thank you instead. If you didn’t report to His Majesty last night, I wonder what would have happened. This is what I should do. Li Yu, Wang Qin is older and has a higher position. If you show him that you are intelligent, you will only harm yourself. – Then…
– While you’re below someone, you mustn’t expose your cleverness, especially if the one above is unaccommodating. His Majesty likes you to be smart, but others may not. When you go back later, don’t show your resentment. Do a good job of flattering Wang Qin. You are, after all, still working under him. So I was clueless. Thank you for pointing this out. Take this ointment back and apply it. When you are serving His Majesty, you must be extra careful. Make your eyes brighter. I understand now. I’m leaving first. Mistress, you finally are willing to set your heart on it. How can I not? A successive chain of events just fell on me like that. We don’t know when we might die. You must be very wary of Wang Qin. Liyu is a honest person. That’s right. Take this mugwort and give it to Changzai Hai for her wounds. Yes. Your Majesty, where are we going? We are waiting for Your Majesty to select which concubine to visit. I would like to take a walk. I will accompany you then. Where are we? We just passed Changchun Palace. If you go back, you can visit Her Highness the Empress. Let’s go to Yanxi Palace. Yes. Mistress, His Majesty is here. Get ready to receive him now. The scent of the roses is very fragrant. I almost forgot that it’s winter now. Greetings, Your Majesty. Rise quickly. You have suffered for the past few days. I was wrong. I thought that, for the past few days, if I favored you less, there would be less hatred. In the end, I made it difficult for you. Your Majesty, I made it difficult for you. I was punished by the Empress Dowager. You didn’t visit me because you cared about what she would think. Come. When you were released from your confinement, the Empress Dowager reminded me that there shouldn’t be any favoritism in the harem. If I were to over-pamper someone, it will cause the other concubines to be jealous. But a lot of events have happened for the past few days. I have changed my mind too. If a flower blossoms in a corner, others will think that there is no one taking care of it and they will trample on it. Rather than this, I might as well be with you without any misgivings. You came here. It’s so cold out there and it’s frosty in the night. You didn’t even take care of your health. If I don’t come here, I won’t be at peace. Don’t worry. In the future, I won’t restrain myself from visiting you. I like hearing you say these words the most. What words? “Don’t worry”. With these words, even if I’m detained by the Office of Careful Punishment, I will have peace of mind too. Fortunately, you are understanding. I understand. On that day, when late Emperor allowed you to marry me, you said those words to me. My mind has been at peace since then. It’s good that you know. If only I may learn over and over of your heart’s stance, I’ll then won’t worry or be afraid. Your Majesty. Don’t get up. Sleep more. I will return to have dinner with you later. Yes. A’ruo, take good care of your mistress. Prepare more of the White Jade Cream Cakes. When I have the time, I will spend more time with you. – Yes.
– What will do we have for breakfast? Bean and lotus seed porridge. Okay. Mistress. Guess what His Majesty just said on his way out? What did he say to cause you to be like this? His Majesty said, “A’Ruo, take good care of your Mistress”. “Remember to prepare more of the White Jade Cream cakes. I will spend time with you for the following days.” I didn’t hear anything. Mistress, you didn’t hear that? I distinctly remember it. Elder Sister, the food from the kitchen is light and easy on the stomach. The bowl of sour chicken and bamboo shoots soup is the best. If you like this, I will get a refill for you later. You must not do this. His Majesty said that he will spend time with you tonight. The kitchen will be very busy. I will only add to the chaos. Mistress. What is it? The Office of Careful Punishment just sent word that in the hospital, there was a little eunuch that handles the medicines called “Manzi” that admitted to the crime. Admitted to what crime? It’s the ointment for Second Class Attendant Mei to apply on her face. When he was dispensing it, he accidentally stained it with leadwort powder on the exterior side of the bowl, and so created such a big disaster. This is not right. If it’s on the exterior side of the bowl, when Sulian used it why was she fine, but not when Second Class Attendant Mei used it? Manzi said that Sulian used the top portion. Hence, it was okay for her. Whereas Second Class Attendant Mei used more of the stained portion. How did the Office of Careful Punishment handle this? They meted out punishments and could only get a few words from him. Hence, I’m here to seek your opinion. Elder Sister, do you believe them? Do you? Sanbao. Go back to the Office of Careful Punishment and tell them that once he has confessed, report to His Majesty. As for the rest, it’s their business. What if they can’t force anything out from him? If they can’t still do it, he must still spit it out. Beat Manzi with fifty strokes of the paddle, send him to jail and forget about the whole thing. Yes. I will do this immediately. Elder Sister, can this be concluded this way? This was done to harm Elder Sister. This is a premeditation. If we don’t investigate this… We won’t be able to investigate this, Hailan. If we pursue this, there will only be one conclusion. Manzi will commit suicide. Noble Consort Hui can do this without leaving room for maneuver. I can’t. But this is such a major upheaval. Even the Empress and the Noble Consort are involved. It’s exactly because Empress and the Noble Consort are involved, that’s why we can’t investigate this. Ever since you suffered that evening, you should know that the incident regarding the charcoals can’t be investigated. Furthermore, His Majesty wasn’t willing to investigate it. Elder Sister. But… His Majesty was just enthroned. There must be peace in the harem. Since His Majesty has already shown his opinion, let it be then. Do we need to pursue this? ♫Intoxicated by the falling flower petals in the plum garden♫ ♫ as if this life were our first time we have met. ♫ ♫ Black silken hair reflecting the frosty moonlight, ♫ ♫ Hands joined together, for our innumerable mortal lives. ♫ ♫ The burden of concern on my mind has paled rose-kissed cheeks, ♫ ♫ Yearning now turns into confusion. ♫ ♫ Glistening teardrops cover the pledge, ♫ ♫ joining hands for a lifetime, when in the past did he change it? ♫ ♫ Flowers start out blossoming in splendor, but are easily destroyed ♫ ♫ Who is that plucking on qin (zither) strings? ♫ ♫ When love becomes deep, people are prone to separate. ♫ ♫ Alone, I sing the sad song of parting. ♫ ♫ Twilight is tardy, spring is late. ♫ ♫ With graceful reasoning, like it had been empty dream, with sighs. ♫ ♫ Let it flow away with the river of time. ♫ ♫ Vast years apart, with no clear date of return or hope, ♫ ♫ Regretfully not admitting the care held deep within my heart. ♫ ♫ Moonlight flows like water, washing away the pretentiousness of the past affairs. ♫ ♫ Sincerity now is the only thing left to depend upon. ♫ ♫ In the endless night, I cannot put down the gray hairs to pursue youth. ♫ ♫ Nor dare to look at you quietly from afar. ♫ ♫ If we can have another lifetime together, may we both be commoners. ♫ ♫ Reunited, and again pledging faithfully to stand by each other. ♫