Ruyi’s Royal Love in the Palace Episode 57 For plans to drive away the boredom and sorrow, I reside in the imperial garden. Flipping for no reason at all dulls the extreme sorrow. But every time I encounter a scenery, I try to reminisce I dare not say how much miserable I feel. This is the poem that His Majesty wrote while mourning for Empress Xiaoxian when he went to Yuanming Garden. His Majesty never forgot about Empress Xiaoxian. Once I leave, will His Majesty also remember me? Mistress, why are you saying these ominous words? You are weak. You cannot bear tiring yourself this way. [But every time I encounter…] [Forgetting the worries…] Consort Shu, you must take good care of your health. There is not much that I can do for you. [Forgetting the worries until they are empty…] Give it back to me… You are still young. You will have a child again. I know that my body is weak and will be hard to get pregnant again. After drinking so many medicines for so many years, it was not easy to finally have 10th Prince, but I still wasn’t able to make him stay. I’m sorry. It’s because the child has very thin fortune. Do not blame yourself. I am unable to preserve the life of my child. I also am unable to repay you for you kindness in this life. What I can do is to copy your poems and make them into a book. In the future, if I really leave with my child, Your Majesty can look at my writing and remember me. Don’t say nonsense. The people from the Bureau of Imperial Physicians prescribed some nerve calming medicine. I’ll feed you to drink them. Consort Shu, once you have recovered. We’ll start over. Your Majesty. Give her the prescription. Let Consort Shu take her medicine on time. I will visit her often when I get the time. Yes. Your Majesty really cares about Mistress. Your Highness Empress, you are in high spirit today. Look, you even reached the Wuling Spring Scenery in your stroll. About Consort Shu…I can only be at ease once she gets better. His Majesty will really come here? Eunuch Jinzhong already said that after His Majesty finishes his official work, he would do strolls at more distant places lately. Yesterday, he has come here and praised the scenery. I will sing here then. Anyway, there are no one around. – It would be best if His Majesty can hear it.
– Yes. It is also good to walk around more now that you are in the later months of your pregnancy. When the time comes, you will be able to give birth faster. ♫ Like so ♫ giving it all Tenth Prince has just died and His Majesty is grieving. Who is singing those kinds of songs here? It sounds like Consort Ling. Replying to Your Highness Empress, I heard that Consort Ling hired a master lately to teach her Kunqu opera singing. No wonder. Rongpei, go take a look. No matter who is it, for singing such happy songs and extravagant tunes during the mourning period of 10th Prince, she must kneel in front of the memorial table of 10th Prince for a whole day as punishment. Yes. ♫ With the scenery ♫ of the beautiful day ♫ in delight Gugu Rong! The decree of Empress. Anyone who sings happy songs and extravagant tunes during the mourning period of 10th Prince will be punished to kneel in front of the memorial tablet of 10th Prince for a whole day. Mistress, don’t be mad anymore. If you harm your body because of this, it’s not worth it. Who would have thought that His Majesty wouldn’t come and it was even Her Highness Empress who heard it. I have one body and no family. Eunuch Jinzhong? Jinzhong, what tip did you give Lancui? Now, I was caught singing by Empress and was punished to kneel in front of Tenth Prince. If I don’t do that, you won’t remember me, right? You deliberately gave Lancui a wrong tip. Since Ling Yunce returned, you have forgotten me. Do you not trust me this much? My heart have long forgotten about Ling Yunce. Really? If you do not believe me, I will swear. Don’t do that. Look at how tender your hand is. It is a pity if no one will cherish it. Her Highness Empress is also a full moon that’s about to wane. You are a flower that is about to blossom fully. Stop smooth talking me. You’re not the one being punished to kneel. So what if you’ll be kneeling? She’s now at her prime. You should endure as much as you can. Or else, what can you achieve? Jinzhong, I can only depend on you. Don’t say that. It’s me who will be depending on you. You said that I’m in your heart. I do, but I still am just a servant. You should strive to climb up by yourself, so I can use my shoulder to steady your climb. But how do I climb up? I am unable to do so right now. If you are unable to climb up, observe the situation around you first. Presently, Tenth Prince has just died and His Majesty dotes on Consort Shu a lot. He would visit her every time he gets the time. Empress also is very close with her. If Consort Shu is able to survive this ordeal, the more you will get ignored in the future. What then must I do? With the health of Consort Shu, just lightly pushing it and she will be gone. Don’t you also frequently worry about her? Do not let all your hard work go in vain. It’s not even your child. Why are you here? Older Sister, are you here to cry for Tenth Prince? I’m here to cry for my child. What child do you have? Older Sister, you are grieving over Tenth Prince. You don’t even take care of your health. But compared to me, you are much better. Much better? When this baby was in your stomach, he was delivered and survived for a day. You cried and laughed with him. But where is my child? Your child? That’s right. Fortunately, Tenth Prince lived for a day. While I wish. Wish for. Wish for until my eyes have gone numb. But my child can’t come. He can’t come to my belly. He can’t come to the world either. Do you know why? Why? The taste of this soup, Older Sister, you must be very familiar with it. This is… Where did you get my anti-miscarriage medicine from? I was stupid and greedy too. I wanted a baby. Hence, I picked up the residue of your medicine and blended the exact ingredients for the anti-miscarriage medicine and secretly drank it. You drank it too? That’s right. I drank it more diligently than you and I still couldn’t get pregnant. You stopped for a while and got pregnant. Older Sister, don’t you find it strange? What’s so strange? The medicine didn’t make us pregnant. Don’t you find it strange? Hence, I got someone to leave the palace to check the medicine and its formula. I realized… Realized what? Didn’t Her Highness tell you what this was? Her Highness rarely take this medicine. What would she tell me? Fine. Let me tell you then. What we have been drinking all these years, it’s not anti-miscarriage medicine. It’s medicine to prevent pregnancy. I don’t believe it. You don’t believe it? Older Sister, take a look and check if there is a mistake in this formula. What’s written here, it’s from several renowned physicians in the capital. This can’t be a mistake. [ Ingredients in the medicine stated by physicians ] Tenth Prince. What a pitiful child. It can’t be. It can’t be. No way. You are spouting nonsense! Yongcheng, the errands that I gave you for today, you did a decent job. I’m extremely pleased. The errands that you gave me, I did them with dedication. Consort Shu, what are you doing? Your Majesty. Why are you here? I have something to ask you. The rest, leave first. – Yes.
– I’m taking my leave. Was Your Majesty sincere in treating me well? Why are you suddenly asking this? What was in the anti-miscarriage medicine that you have been giving me all those years? It’s from the Imperial pharmacy. Of course, it’s to prevent miscarriage. Why then? When I had it investigated outside the palace, it was not so. It was medicine to prevent pregnancies. Those physicians in the community can’t be trusted. I would like to know. Those physicians are also renowned. Why are their opinions different from the Imperial pharmacy? Ever since Tenth Prince passed away, I have been having doubts about why I have been taking this for a long period and didn’t get pregnant. When I stopped taking it, I was pregnant with Tenth Prince. Consort, there are certain matters you should not pursue and get to the bottom of it. A blind speculation will only bring pain. Pursue and get to the bottom of it? So, Your Majesty is afraid of this too? Please allow me to pursue this matter. Your Majesty, did you fake your affections for me all those years or did you not want me to get pregnant? Is the reason because Empress Dowager recommended me? Yes, I wanted to be with you. I was sincerely grateful to Empress Dowager this doesn’t mean that I will accept the directions of Empress Dowager. All these years, I have been sincere towards you. Don’t tell me that you couldn’t tell? I could see your sincerity only after many years. I only just realized it when you forced me to answer. Consort Shu, could it be that our fate has already ended.? There’s no room for it anymore? Your Majesty. I have been in a dilemma for all many years. I have never said more than what I shouldn’t to Empress Dowager. I wasn’t willing to make it difficult for you. But I didn’t imagine that an innocent woman who was willing to enter the palace to be with the one she loves, unexpectedly, became a pawn between you and your mother. It was difficult for you. Did you think it wasn’t difficult for me too? In this world, who can know what’s truly in my heart? Who can also truly understand my situation? It’s my fault. I always thought if I treated you truly. You would treat me with some measures of truth too. In the end, dreams of youth were all just elusive flowers in mirrors only. Consort Shu, Tenth Prince has already passed away. I wanted to continue to get along with you. But, today, it was you who disregarded my kind intention. Yes, it was my fault. I shouldn’t have fell in love with you when you went out from the place that year. Your Majesty, you should know that when I entered here and saw you, so handsome and charming. It was just like when I first saw you. It was the first time I have seen someone so perfect like you in my life. Mistress. Mistress, what’s wrong with you? Everyone, leave. Don’t follow me. Mistress. Today is 10th Prince’s 37th. You are not allowed to wait here. Go to the Buddhist temple to be with him. Go now. Yes. ♫ Misty clouds. ♫ ♫ Everlasting worries. ♫ ♫ Fragrance burning in golden urn. ♫ ♫ A happy festival ♫ ♫ repeating again. ♫ ♫ Jade pillow in the yarn closet ♫ ♫ Its chill coming through at night. ♫ ♫ Drinking the wine by the eastern fence. ♫ ♫ Upon dusk. ♫ Only now I know my wrong of then. My mood chilled. Red tears sneaking to fall. Only the spring breeze pass by and all for nothing. Only now I realize the wrong of then. It was all a mistake. ♫ And the yellow flower thins. ♫ Hurry up! The water is leaking. Quick, get more water from there. Over there. Pour it over there. The water is leaking. Go and get more now. Your Highness, slowly. Li Yu! Eunuch Li! – Your Highness, why are you here?
– Where is Consort Shu? She sent her staff away. When we discovered the fire, it was already too late. She’s in there now and there are no movements at all. Can’t they charge in to save her? They can’t. The fire is too strong. They can’t charge in. Moreover, it was Consort Shu who started the fire. Why would she do that? No matter what, you must save Consort Shu. It’s burned through. How do we rescue it? Your Highness. Your Highness, what’s wrong with you? Your Highness. She’s going to give birth. She’s going to give birth. Move aside! Empress Dowager. Spring Rain Hall is on fire. Is she okay? Everyone is fine. Consort Shu has locked herself inside the hall. What? I said that she’s stupid. She is indeed stupid. She’s of no use anymore. Fujia, this sounds fishy. Go and investigate this. Yes. – Your Highness.
– Older Sister. She’s not waking up. – Your Highness.
– Older Sister, wake up. – This…
– Your Highness. Her Highness has passed out. How could she wake up? – Your Highness.
– Imperial Physician Jiang. Older Sister gave birth prematurely. She received a shock and can’t regain consciousness now. Think of a solution now. My Lady, I have already done acupuncture on her. The fetus is pushing through. My estimate is that she will soon deliver. Don’t worry. She will be able to give birth without any hitches. – Your Highness.
– Older Sister, wake up now. Your Highness, wake up. She’s moving. Older Sister. – Your Majesty.
– Older Sister. The Empress is not due for delivery yet. How could she has a premature birth? Spring Rain Hall was on fire and Consort Shu couldn’t be rescued. Her Highness was worried and it affected her fetus. I deserve to die. You deserve to die. Her Highness due soon. How could she witness this? The attendants are too careless. Don’t tell Her Highness about Consort Shu’s death. Her health wouldn’t be able to take it. Let the Internal Affairs Department handle Consort Shu. Yes. It’s coming out. It really wasn’t easy. What an adorable baby. Greetings, Your Majesty. – Greetings, Your Majesty.
– Rise. – Has Her Highness regained consciousness?
– Yes. Congratulations, Your Majesty. Her Highness has given birth to a princess. Your Majesty, look. The princess is smiling at you. Wonderful. This is my fifth princess. Since I birthed Princess Hejia, it’s been 8 years. There is finally another princess. Congratulations, Your Majesty. Since she came at a timely moment, I will confer her as Princess Heshi. Thank you, Your Majesty, on behalf of Her Highness and the princess. How is Her Highness? She is fine. Fifth Princess was just born. Take a look at her situation. Yes. Congratulations, Your Majesty, for having a princess. Your Majesty. Do you feel better? Our daughter is very adorable. She even smiled at me just now. What about Consort Shu? Just take care of yourself first. Internal Affairs Department will handle her funeral. It wasn’t easy for Older Sister to give birth to this child. That’s right. It was tough for Her Highness. Imperial Physician Jiang, why is the baby’s face a bit purple? That’s right. Wasn’t she fine just now? Is she gasping for air? I have conferred the title of Princess Heyi to our child. Let’s name her Jingsi. Si meaning, a female rhino. – I hope she will be strong like a rhinoceros.
– Fine. Your Majesty, I have something important to report. What’s so important? The face of the princess is purple and she’s gasping for air. When I listened to her heartbeat, it was rather slow. – I fear…
– What do you fear? I deserve to die. I fear the princess has a heart problem. What heart problem? When a baby is newly born with such an example, Whimpering and sweating. Purple coloring on the face. Slow sucking. When she grows up, her health will be fragile. Can she be cured? There is no cure for the time being. We can only raise her carefully and there must not be any accidents. Why do you say this? This is to say, if the princess grows up, she must not exhaust herself. She should not receive any shocks. If she does, she will… You must be wrong. Get all the Imperial Physicians here! Yes. Your Majesty. Your Majesty. What is today? The day 5th Princess is born. It’s the day Consort Shu leaves the world. Then did Consort Shu bring this ominousness to 5th Princess? 10th Prince was weak and left the world. 5th Princess is born with a heart disease. It’s not Consort Shu’s fault. Don’t blame Consort Shu. I won’t argue. I won’t argue about anything. Just as long our princess can be preserved and she can grow up safely. Then I won’t argue about anything. Alright? Don’t cry anymore. Each and every one of you midwives and royal physicians contributed merit in delivery. Princess if born and you were supposed to be rewarded well. But since Consort Shu just passed away, and we have flooding in the south. Empress has ordered that the reward will be halved for everyone. To contribute merit on behalf of Princess. Thank you, Your Majesty and Empress for the grace. We suffered in helping with delivery. But not only did not add to the reward, they halved it? Yes, Nanny Tian, you ought to speak for us. You need money urgently, don’t you? His Majesty and Empress made the rule so what can we say? It’s because 5th Princess has a heart disease. We just worked hard for nothing. Nanny Tian. Greetings to Consort Ling. Get on up. What’s wrong, Nanny Tian? Why are you crying now? 5th Princess has an ill health. Empress halved the rewards to us servants after labor. But — But my daughter’s health isn’t well either. She’s been taking Royal Physician Bao’s medicine. And I’m out of silvers to buy the medicine now. For your own daughter, you will have to spend it somehow. Claim note I can’t take your reward for no reason. Take it. I will trouble you later on. No, no. I don’t dare. You don’t dare? Then what about your daughter’s illness? Nanny Tian, just take it. I thank you. Nanny Tian, you’re being aloof now. Who’s good to you and who treats you well sincerely. We just need you to be aware of it. Later on, if you need money again, just tell us. Yes. Yes. Consort Ling is kind. Then I will take my leave. Your Highness. His Majesty is so concerned about our 5th Princess. He’s too busy with state affairs to come over but he had Eunuch Li bring this amber wrap. To have 5th Princess sleep soundly. Bring it to the princess. Yes. Take it there.
– Yes. Your Highness, Eunuch Li said that day, before going to see His Majesty, Consort Shu went to 10th Prince’s memorial. At the time, Consort Ling was there too. Then Consort Ling said something to her? I can’t tell. Tomorrow, summon Consort Ling for me. I need to ask her. Yes. Your Highness, you shouldn’t worry about others now. You should nurture your health back first. You’ve been kneeling for an hour and now you can’t anymore? I don’t dare. Consort Ling. Let me borrow your ears to listen. What is this tune? It’s Kun Opera’s “Startling Dream.” I heard you’re learning to sing “Peony Pavilion” lately. I am just learning it as leisure activity since I’m bored. You’re not eager to court the emperor’s favor. You’ve set your mind to leisure instead. It’s unlike you. I am incompetent. I can’t earn His Majesty’s favor. You’re incompetent. Your skills are something no one can compete with. Consort Shu and 10th Prince’s life were in your grasp. You’re still incompetent? Forgive me, Empress Dowager. I don’t dare. You don’t dare? Consort Shu asked about conception tonic before her death. The tonic is strange. The emperor knows of it and Qi Ru knows of it and I sort of do. Consort Shu suddenly asks about it. It’s clearly not from us that she caught wind of it. Mistress Ling, you once secretly learned Consort Shu’s conception medicine recipe to drink. Later on you suddenly stopped drinking it. Naturally you found out the strangeness of it Consort Shu, before she went to see His Majesty, she saw you at 10th Prince’s memorial briefly. Other than you, who else would’ve told her the truth? Empress Dowager. I — You told her the conception medicine was linked to her losing her child. That’s why Consort Shu was upset and went mad. Is that right? I didn’t. I wouldn’t dare. I really did nothing. Fujia. What goodness did you find out? Bring it and let Consort Ling have a look. Yes. Consort Ling. When Consort Shu was pregnant. What you fed her. It’s all here. Everyday a bag. You eat it yourself. Then I will feign ignorance of everything. I — Mistress Ling, you were willing to let others eat it. Why can’t you eat it yourself? Eat it. ♫ Being your favorite and being forgotten both are argued in my heart, at a loss to arrive at an explanation. ♫ ♫ You bear witness to constant changes in my well-being, my sorrows and my joys, the path of my dreams forever cut off. ♫ ♫ You draw my hand to embroider all alone in my loneliness, silken clothes pile up under the moonlight. ♫ ♫ Telling myself they might be used for warmth, but who would dare? ♫ ♫ Whose life after life is filled with paired images of love and resentment? ♫ ♫ One side is beautiful, the other expressionless and silent. ♫ ♫ From a distance, visits come around without word of your approach, ♫ ♫ filling time between acts perhaps? ♫ ♫ Feelings fracture, forgive and wistfully anticipate, forgetting they’re part of the paired image, ♫ ♫ One day in cold indifference, the next in warm recollection. ♫ ♫ If only we might perpetually walk in the brilliant sunlight ♫ ♫ This lifetime has been so dismally overcast. ♫ ♫ From now on, this lifetime will be… ♫ ♫ without clouds. ♫