♫ The sounds from the sheng and xiao die away in the distance, in the sparse, declining light ♫
(T/N reed instrument made of vertical pipes; end-blown flute) ♫ Memories of my past, my companions in youth. ♫ ♫ Over boundless years, old affairs have become difficult to recall. ♫ ♫ I’ve used a lifetime of truth to put up a pretense. ♫ ♫ Parting without opening these cupped hands full of tears. ♫ ♫ Clears my vision and permits me to resist ♫ ♫ Perhaps when targeted by love it is not wise to separate ♫ ♫ The morning wind can not dispel the aftermath. ♫ ♫ Whose hidden tears made the blooming flowers blush, ♫ ♫ And in the desolate and dreary torrential storms to painfully droop low, ♫ ♫ Unwilling to blossom again alone? ♫ ♫ The coming day belongs to the young. ♫ ♫ As the glimmer of dawn becomes again the setting sun. ♫ ♫ Who is this person who does not sleep soundly in the middle of the night? ♫ ♫Sitting and watching the autumn wind puff out and penetrate the palace curtains. ♫ ♫One strand held in remembrance, shackling sentiment and concern. ♫ ♫ Always submerged in the fragrant incense of fleeting time ♫ Ruyi’s Royal Love in the Palace Episode 17 There is a snake. Throw the realgar powder on it. (T/N “ruby arsenic”, used in some Chinese medicines and component of realgar wine for Dragon Boat Festival until the modern era) Use a pincer to nab it later. Go now. Consort Xian, help me. Help me. Help me now, Your Highness Consort Xian! Help me!. Are you okay? Your Highness Consort Xian! How could there be a snake in here? Your Highness Consort Xian, I was feeling tired and wanted to come to the warm room to take a rest. I didn’t call anyone to attend to me. I didn’t expect a snake to suddenly fall from the beam. It scared me to death. That was a poisonous snake. If it had bitten you, both you and the baby wouldn’t have survived. But how could there suddenly be a snake? Thank you, Your Highness Consort Xian, for saving me. If not, I wouldn’t know what I’d have done. Noble Lady Yi, have some water to calm down. Drink this water. Since this is the day of awakening for the insects, the snakes, insects and rats would all come out. Noble Lady Yi is pregnant and afraid of the cold. The pot of hot charcoal will attract snakes and insects too. – What’s wrong? Does it hurt?
– It’s very painful. Get the Imperial Physician here now. Yes. What’s wrong, Noble Lady Yi? My stomach hurts. – Don’t panic. They are getting the Imperial Physician.
– My stomach hurts… Spread the lime stone powder and realgar powder in all corners. As for you, check below the walls and beams. Don’t let a poisonous snake run out again. Greetings to Your Majesty, may Your Highness the Empress be at ease and Noble Lady Jia have good health. Rise. Where is Noble Lady Yi? Our Mistress is keeping her company. The Imperial Physician was here too. He said that Noble Lady Yi is fine. Fine, you were attentive. Thank you, Your Majesty, for your compliments. Ruyi. Greetings to Your Majesty and Your Highness the Empress. Rise. What happened? She encountered a snake and her stomach hurts too. Hearing this, my heart skipped a beat. Talking about this, it’s strange too. I wonder how a snake could suddenly have dropped from the beam. It shocked Noble Lady Yi, affected her morning sickness and caused her stomach to be in pain. The Imperial Physician came and checked her. He gave her some sedatives and she has fallen asleep. She should be fine. As the saying goes, “the awakening of insects will cause the snakes to come out from their holes”. Today is the day of awakening of insects. We will encounter snakes. Noble Lady Yi is feeling discomfort from her pregnancy and she even encountered this. I’m afraid that it will affect her fetus. Your Majesty. Noble Lady Yi is pregnant. She has suffered such a great shock. She’s so pitiful. From what I hear, snakes possess such strong darkness and poison. It suddenly invaded Jingyang Palace. I’m afraid this is disadvantageous. What do you mean? JIngyang Palace is close to Xuan Qiong Gate. The ground and air are damp. If there are snakes, insects and rats again, they will affect her fetus. This won’t be good. Moreover, Jingyang Palace is undergoing renovation now. Why don’t we let Noble Lady Yi stay at another palace? Stay at another palace? She will be imposing on others at this time. I’m afraid she won’t be used to staying there either. If Noble Lady Yi is willing, I can let her stay with me for the time being. Your Majesty. Don’t get up. I suffered a shock today. I was afraid that I would not be able to see you again. Don’t talk nonsense. I’m still hoping that you will give me a son. Empress, Noble Lady Yi was originally from your palace. Let her stay with you at Changchun Palace. I don’t have to worry then. Yes. Your Majesty, I have something to report. Her Highness the Empress and I came from Xiefang Hall because of Second Prince’s illness. Your Highness the Empress, Second Prince is very ill now. Would you still have the concentration to take care of Noble Lady Yi? Second Prince is sick? Is it serious? Why didn’t you tell me earlier? Blame me for neglecting him. Your Majesty, please allow me to bring Yonglian over for me to take care of him. Once he’s well again, I will send him back to Xiefang Hall. That’s right, Your Highness the Empress. Since there are no distractions, why don’t you focus on Second Prince first? If it weren’t for Her Highness Consort Xian, I’m afraid Noble Lady Yi wouldn’t be safe today. In my opinion, why don’t we let Consort Xian take care of Noble Lady Yi first? Her Highness Consort Xian is assisting Her Highness the Empress to manage the six palaces. She’s handling tasks and also intimate with His Majesty. With Consort Xian’s care, this is more suitable. Your Majesty. Thanks to Consort Xian’s composure, she helped me to drive away the poisonous snake. But I still don’t know what will happen to the child in my stomach. But I really dare not stay here anymore. Consort Xian, what do you think? Your Majesty, I have never given birth. I don’t know how to take care of a pregnant woman. This is exactly what I think too. Although Her Highness Consort Xian hasn’t given birth, she has taken care of First Prince very well. If Her Highness Consort Xian pushes this away and doesn’t dare to take care of a fetus, who else in the palace would dare to take this responsibility? Her Highness Consort Xian blamed me for being rude in the past. I’m very grateful to Her Highness Consort Xian for helping me today. I hope that Her Highness Consort Xian will take care of me. Don’t let me stay here again. Ruyi. Your Majesty. I will go back immediately and instruct them to tidy up the place for her to stay. Please pardon my simple abode. How could that be? I will need to thank Her Highness Consort Xian for your hospitality. Fine. It’s agreed then. Did you warm up and tidy the room? Noble Lady Yi will move in soon. I will do a good job of tidying up. Noble Lady Yi is pregnant. Everyone must be careful and take good care of her. Of course, Noble Lady Yi has such good fortune. I will be very careful. – Elder Sister.
– Hailan. Elder Sister, you must have been shocked at Jingyang Palace today. You really received the news very fast. Sit. Everyone is watching Jingyang Palace now. What is there not to know? In the future, the eyes of the palace will be staring at Yanxi Palace. Sister, you mean, if Jingyang Palace is enough to lure a snake… In the future when Noble Lady Yi changes palaces, this Yanxi Palace will be where the snakes and insects come. I’m really worried about this. Elder Sister, don’t worry. Take a look. Elder Sister, take a look. What kind of herbs are these? These are mint leaves. These are mugwort leaves and lotus stems. They all have the effect to prohibit snakes and bugs. I am thinking I should make some herb pouches and hang them in Yanxi Palace, with hope that they will get rid of evils and disasters. You also find it very strange that Noble Lady Yi met with a snake? Yes. Noble Lady Yi is pregnant. Everyone’s happy about it. How could a poisonous snake suddenly appear? And just in time, it appears at Noble Lady Yi’s chamber? Sister, it was good thing you were so calm today or else it’s hard to vouchsafe Noble Lady Yi and her child’s lives. That’s right. It’s such a coincidence. Your Highness the Empress, forgive me. I took charge of it on my own due to my own strong reason. What big idea did you have? Let me hear it. I know Your Highness the Empress cares about Noble Lady Yi. and you wanted to bring Noble Lady Yi to live at Changchun Palace. But Your Highness the Empress has to consider, is it the Second Prince who’s more important, or is it the pair of Noble Lady Yi and her child? Second Prince has asthma. He needs to be looked after in detail by your side. But this Noble Lady Yi is weak in her pregnancy. Who knows how much she minds. If there’s something upsetting that should arise, His Majesty will only blame it on Your Highness the Empress. So why would Your Highness bother bringing such toil upon yourself? If you add Noble Lady Yi getting startled, she will surely be disturbed every night and it will disrupt Second Prince’s recovery. Your Highness the Empress abandoned Second Prince today to go visit Noble Lady Yi at Jingyang Palace. His Majesty is already aware of your virtues. What Noble Lady Jia said is very true. I could see that His Majesty cares about Second Prince and he will come visit here at Changchun Palace often. This is a good bonding time between Your Highness and His Majesty. If we add Noble Lady Yi to the mix, it will be very inconvenient. Besides, if something should go wrong with Noble Lady Yi, it would be Consort Xian’s misdoing. It wouldn’t be linked to you. But that’s not right, the royal heir is a priority. If Noble Lady Yi has a prince, I must raise him myself. Where’s Zhao Yitai? Zhao Yitai went to pick up Second Prince from Xiefang Hall. Lianxin is cleaning the guest house so Second Prince can live in it and recover. Noble Lady Jia, I misunderstood you. You are loyal and thoughtful on my behalf. Since I married into the old manor, the reason I have a place to stand in the harem now, it’s all due to Your Highness the Empress’ care. If not, I know nothing, and I am not amiable in temperament. So His Majesty might have thrown me away long ago. Your sentiment, I understand. Alright. Stop kneeling now. Thank you, Your Highness the Empress. A snake at Noble Lady Yi’s place? Shuangxi. Mistress. The snake at Noble Lady Yi’s didn’t come from you, did it? How could this be? I only keep snakes without poison. Plus, I am not missing any snakes from my crate. Then it’s good. Throw away your snakes though, so no one suspects. Yes. Here. Mistress, Noble Lady Yi got startled by the snake and moved to Consort Xian’s palace, I hear. Consort Xian’s palace? Other than the Empress, it should be my task to look after pregnancies of wives. How is it her turn? What a meddler! Mistress. Did you get the item? As you instructed, I got some paint from Jingyang Palace. – Go now.
– Yes. Hailan, look at these paint oils. Anything strange? Sister, this paint oil has snake juice mixed in. I grew up in the village when I was little and I’m familiar with it. Just that, why do you ask me about this? Today I had given instructions to spread realgar and lime powder at Jingyang Palace. But in the short two hours I was gone, many poisonous vipers had come in from all directions. Then I thought, Jingyang Palace, since Noble Lady Yi is pregnant, they remodeled it to be lively. I don’t know who put a hand in the middle, to lure these filthy things. Interior Bureau’s decorating of Jingyang Palace involved many hands. It’s hard to investigate. Sister, will you tell this His Majesty? Of course I will tell His Majesty. Noble Lady Yi is about to move here to Yanxi Palace. Before she gives birth smoothly, we just can’t be too careful. Hailain, you are so thorough, so I need to depend on you heavily. Sister, don’t worry, I will do my utmost. Mistress, it’s time to take pregnancy medicine. This pregnancy medicine scares me just by smell. But I can’t not drink it either. I long to have a child of my own. Me too. I hate this smell. Her Highness the Empress is kind, but it’s a bitter task for us. What are you doing? I don’t wish to have a child and I don’t wish for His Majesty’s favor either. What’s the use of drinking this? It just bitters my tongue. Hailan, you should take advantage of your youth and have a child or two, someone to lean on in your old age. Having a child isn’t necessarily a good thing. Look. Noble Lady Mei had a child, but she was met with such calamity. And Noble Lady Yi? She’s still pregnant, but who knows who tried to harm her? I don’t have the skill to guard myself. So I should just be at peace and live my days. – But…
– Sister, there’s no “but”‘ I have you, so I have someone to depend on. This is paint Sanbao got for me. The snake juice in it will lure snakes. I understand your meaning. It was Noble Lady Jia’s idea to remodel Jingyang Palace. And it was intended by the Empress too and Empress Dowager approved of it. But it led to this disaster. I need to investigate, however — Does Your Majesty fear too many hands were involved, so it’s hard to investigate? Ruyi, Noble Lady Yi is living at your Yanxi Palace and I’m assured. Your detailed mind will surely watch over her well without a mistake. What happened to Noble Lady Mei’s child has already happened. I really don’t want anymore of it. I will take good care of Noble Lady Yi. May Your Majesty rest assured. I heard Second Prince is suffering asthma, so I came to visit. My father sent some medicinal herbs by coincidence. They will be perfect in helping Second Prince restore his health. You are thoughtful. Your Highness the Empress, what does the royal physician say? His asthma… not much about it. I hope Noble Lady Yi’s child can be a healthy fetus. Not like Yonglian, so weak. [ Changchun Palace Gate ] Your Highness Noble Consort Hui, please hold up for a moment. What is it? Your Highness Noble Consort Hui came to visit Her Highness the Empress today. I imagine it’s not only to deliver the herbs. The sun is hanging bright, but the light’s not shining over Xianfu Palace. (T/N Emperor is avoiding her) You came to ask Her Highness the Empress to take charge of it, right? Why do you ask, when you already know? It’s just that Her Highness the Empress only has in mind the Second Prince’s illness right now. She has no time for anything else. I am so jealous of Noble Lady Yi. If she bears the first prince upon His Majesty’s enthronement, Her Highness the Empress will surely try to raise him. Then, this prince is surely precious. He would be half a main heir. (T/N half, because of adoption and birth by other than the main wife, the Empress) But that Noble Lady Yi would get her status elevated quite a bit too. Second Prince is weak and easily ill. Her Highness the Empress having another foster son under her roof, that’s a good thing. Her Highness the Empress having another son in her residence is good, but Noble Lady Yi is staying at Yanxi Palace right now. If that Consort Xian comes up with some other trick, like when she raised First Prince, to raise Noble Lady Yi’s child too, then Consort Xian would have another prince. If that’s the case, I think our days with the Her Highness the Empress might be very hard to endure. No need for you to instigate here. I can’t stand Consort Xian, and of course I won’t let her do as she wishes. And Noble Lady Yi living at Yanxi Palace, wasn’t that your idea before His Majesty? As you know, Second Prince is ill. I just tried to do what’s best for Her Highness the Empress and Second Prince. If Noble Lady Yi lived at Changchun Palace and it didn’t agree with Second Prince recovering, and with Noble Lady Yi being weak in her pregnancy, if something should go wrong, His Majesty will cast blame. But then again, if Noble Lady Yi, something were to to happen to her, it’s Consort Xian who will be unlucky, so it’s not really our Empress’ issue. A’Rou’s father works for your father. If she could just tell us about Noble Lady Yi’s pregnancy updates, that would be great. A’Rou? It’s getting late. I will take my leave. Go get Xiao Fuzi for me. Wait. What is this? Noble Lady Yi is afraid of the cold. This is hongluo coal to keep Noble Lady Yi warm. It just got delivered from Jingyang Palace. Yes, the palace ran out of charcoal, only our mistress is still using it. So His Majesty made special approval. Open it and let me take a look. Put it down. Alright, deliver it. Find a corner and place it there properly. Let’s go. Thank you, Consort Xian. It’s so elegant here. It’s not really elegant. It’s a small place, so you can only bring a few close belongings. The rest, let’s leave at Jingyang Palace and we can get them fetched whenever. These pouches are filled with herbs that warn off bugs. You are so handy and you worked hard to make these for me. Do you have so many charcoal pots because you’re afraid of the cold? Yes. I had people bring more pots to bring about warmth. But these charcoal pots are a bit pressing in air use. Your Highness Consort Xian’s palace stopped using coal pots so you might not be used to it now. I have incense here too, so it doesn’t feel stuffy. If you’re used to it, it’s fine. Mistress, you need to drink fetal stabilizing medicine. Noble Lady Yi, will you let me inspect your tonic prescription? Your Highness Consort Xian, do you think that this medicine is different? I won’t drink it then. It’s not that. You are staying at Yanxi Palace now. Everything you drink and eat, I must be extra cautious. I just need to be careful. I’m not saying that the medicine is different. Thank you, Your Highness Consort Xian, for your concern. Follow closely. Suoxin, what’s that noise? Wait. What is this? MIstress, this is fresh fish and shrimp sent by royal kitchen. Your Highness Consort Xian, I am Xiao Fuzi’s brother, Xiao Lüzi. Noble Lady Yi is pregnant and wishes to eat fresh fish and shrimp. These are all especially prepared by the royal kitchen. Let me look at that. Do you always make the deliveries? Usually I am in charge of it. – Deliver them.
– Yes. Mistress, Noble Lady Yi’s pregnancy tonic, allow me to investigate it. Do you think the Imperial Physician Jiang is reliable? Reliable. Physician Jiang is an old acquaintance from my hometown. Though his ranking is low, I trust his medical skill. Do you believe in his skills or in him? Mistress — I don’t think I need to set you up with a marriage. I think you already found someone you’re fond of. I wouldn’t dare. Tell him to keep up his work at the royal physician bureau. One day I will match you two. – Huaixin.
– Here. In the future, someone must test the food for Noble Lady Yi first. Yes, Your Highness Consort Xian. Your Highness Consort Xian is so careful? For you and your child’s sake, we can’t be too careful. Mistresses, have your meal. Mistress, we have eight dishes today. Pipa prawns, scallop balls, (T/N butterflied prawns over meatballs with a wonton cover, look like the lute) stir-fried pearl duck, fish filet in white sauce, fresh mushrooms and flowering cabbage, jade bamboo shoots and ferns, earthenware pot simmered deer tendons, and roasted leg, fish and mountain chicken soup. These fish and prawns are all irritants. To eat so much, are you not afraid of getting skin blisters? They say eating a lot of fish and shrimp is good for the fetus when pregnant. For the child’s sake, some skin blisters are nothing. Where did you hear this from? Noble Lady Mei loved eating fish and prawns too. It was at Noble Lady Mei’s, that I heard Imperial Concubine Chun and Noble Lady Jia discuss it and I remembered it. Imperial Concubine Chun’s had a prince so I’m sure it’s true then. [ Cricket Gate ] I am the girl from Fuca clan. I cast my prayer under Cricket Gate. I am willing to give up twenty years of my life in exchange for my beloved son Yonglian’s quick recovery. To be healthy and well, without any disasters in life. Yonglian is little. He is unable to bear the pains of asthma. May you allow me to take it for him. Empress. Your Majesty, what are you doing here? Come. I asked you twice, how you are. You said you were fine. But I heard you say earlier that Yonglian has asthma. I don’t dare to startle Your Majesty over child matters. Your Majesty, the Imperial Physician he said Yonglian has the asthma. I really don’t know what to do. Li Yu. – Tell Consort Xian not to wait.
– Yes. Empress, let’s go back to see Yonglian. Come. Your Majesty. The Imperial Physician said that Yonglian’s chills are no longer severe. But his asthma, it seems there’s no cure. I’m incompetent. Yonglian’s asthma was determined in the womb. I am ashamed to face you. And I owe Yonglian even more. You needn’t over worry. I will have the royal physicians treat him thoroughly. Even if there’s no complete cure, I will have them treat him well. But Yonglian is the main heir. (T/N son of the official wife, the Empress) With asthma, how will he train in martial arts? He can only spend his life in quietness. Yonglian can govern the world through studies. He will always be the precious child of yours and mine. As long as Yonglian can recover, I am willing to kneel long term in Anhua Hall to pray for him. In my heart, I have so much hope for Yonglian. Nothing will happen to him. Mistress, the food is getting cold. A’Rou, go heat it up. Greetings to Your Highness Consort Xian. His Majesty is not coming, right? His Majesty met Her Highness the Empress praying for Second Prince before the Cricket Gate. His Majesty is concerned about Second Prince’s wellness. So he went to Changchun Palace and asks you not to wait. His Majesty loves his son and I understand. Your Highness Consort Xian, our mistress has some headache and instability. If you have time, could you come see her? I will come now. You go fetch Physician Xu. Yes. Physician Xu, I already filled the first trimester. The fetus should be stable by now. But why do I keep getting headaches and inability to sleep? You are fine, Noble Lady. It’s just that your head gets dizzy from too much internal heat. Noble Lady Yi has grown sores by the mouth and I’ve already prepared white chrysanthemum tea. Thank you, Your Highness Consort Xian. I will prescribe some tonics that are refreshing and cool down the internal heat. (T/N: TCM of excess heat) She only need to take it accordingly. Thank you, Imperial Physician. Suoxin, go with Physician Xu to get the prescription. Yes. Noble Lady Yi, it could be that you have charcoal pots lit all the time and the room is dry. So you have headache and excess heat in the body. Maybe turn some of them off? Since I got pregnant, I always feel chilly. I can’t part from these charcoal pots. I would rather add a few more. Xiao Fuzi. Mistress. Add two more and that will do. I have them burning already. When the fire is stronger, I will bring them in. In the bright hall, the bright hall open to the sun. (T/N Ban Gu, Bright Hall Poem, 1st century CE) Divine ancestors and emperors, in their sacred dignity. God hosts a banquet, for the five best of the age. Yonglian, it’s okay. Royal Mother, this Zhao Ming poetry collection (T/N Wen Xuan, literary anthology of Crown Prince Zhao Ming of Liang, d. 531 CE, of many earlier works.) has many words that I don’t understand. That’s why I’m slowly teaching you this. Yonglian, your Royal Father loves poems. You must learn this. Second Prince hasn’t fully recovered from his illness. He shouldn’t be so tired. How could I not feel distressed? But because Yonglian was sick, he has fallen behind Yonghuang in his school work. As a prince, he is already unable to learn horseback riding and archery. He shouldn’t neglect his studies. I will listen to Royal Mother. Your Highness, it’s time for Second Prince to drink his medicine. Bring it here. Yonglian, finish this first and study later. Sulian. Second Prince has contracted this illness. It’s very pitiful. There are good Imperial Physicians in the palace. Old Madam, don’t be anxious. How could I not be anxious? He has contracted this illness. The son and mother are restless. His Majesty is also afraid that he will be hard to raise. He will take action to appoint someone else as the Crown Prince. Noble Lady Yi is also pregnant now. If it’s a prince, he will be the first child born after the Emperor’s accession. It will be very auspicious and highly-respected. Her Highness the Empress is thinking of becoming the foster mother of Noble Lady Yi’s child. Her Highness has calculated this. This can be considered as a reliance but First Prince will always be a threat to Second Prince. Yes. First Prince has Consort Xian as his foster mother. If Second Prince continues to be sick, His Majesty will consider First Prince. You are not aware that, His Majesty has been keeping an eye on First Prince. His Majesty is viewing First Prince in a new light. That’s because there is mutual affection between His Majesty and Consort Xian. If First Prince didn’t have Consort Xian, he wouldn’t have developed. When you are with the Empress, you must help to share her problems. I will remember this. For thousands of years… Wujiang… (T/N the Wu River, site of Xiang Yu’s final defeat, Chu-Han Contention) has… delighted in sorrow. Mother, this poem was written about Xiang Yu. After reading the biography of Xiang Yu, your Royal Father lamented Xiang Yu as a hero who had reached a dead end. Yonghuang, you must study history and Imperial poems. The Emperor will be very happy. After being with you for many months, I realized that your calligraphy is very good. Yonghuang, if you have any abilities, don’t reveal them to others. Whatever they are not aware of, it may be your survival skills one day. I understand. Your Highness Consort Xian! Your Highness Consort Xian, bad news. Noble Lady Yi…Noble Lady Yi is bleeding! What’s going on? She started having pains in her stomach after dinner. Because First Class Attendant Mei was having pains too, I thought it wasn’t urgent. Did you call for Imperial Physician Xu? Yes. Yonghuang. No matter what you hear and whatever movements there are, you must not go to Noble Lady Yi’s place. Understand? Yes. Noble Lady Yi. Elder Sister, Noble Lady Yi has fainted. Noble Lady Yi. What’s going on? The earrings that the heir of the noble house sent here, they are very pretty. Ruby suits you the best. Look at the butterfly. It’s so vivid and alive. Should I put them on for you, Noble Lady Jia? Mistress. Mistress. There is a mishap at Yanxi Palace. Is that so? Another Noble Lady won’t be able to give birth again. Let’s go and take a look. Mistress. Mistress! Mistress! Quick, get a towel. Your Highness Consort Xian, the fetus is not moving. Quick, the towel. Your Highness Consort Xian. Mistress, wake up. I have been with her every day. Wasn’t she doing fine? We have been very careful in taking care of her. How could this happen? Your Highness Consort Xian, frankly, there was no choice. I could only use medicine to induce the dead fetus (to be delivered). If the fetus stayed in there, we wouldn’t be able to save her life. – Why?
– I don’t know either. We can only do the diagnosis after we have removed the fetus from her body. May Your Highness Consort Xian and Noble Lady Hai step back and await news. Your Majesty. Your Majesty, would you like to take a look at Noble Lady Yi? Your Majesty? I dare not go in. Why? Why is my child gone again? After my enthronement, why can’t any of my children survive? Is heaven… punishing me? Punishing me for being the Emperor of splendor and glory by losing the family love between the father and son? Your Majesty. You already has three sons. You will definitely have another. ♫Intoxicated by the falling flower petals in the plum garden♫ ♫ as if this life were our first time we have met. ♫ ♫ Black silken hair reflecting the frosty moonlight, ♫ ♫ Hands joined together, for our innumerable mortal lives. ♫ ♫ The burden of concern on my mind has paled rose-kissed cheeks, ♫ ♫ Yearning now turns into confusion. ♫ ♫ Glistening teardrops cover the pledge, ♫ ♫ joining hands for a lifetime, when in the past did he change it? ♫ ♫ Flowers start out blossoming in splendor, but are easily destroyed ♫ ♫ Who is that plucking on qin (zither) strings? ♫ ♫ When love becomes deep, people are prone to separate. ♫ ♫ Alone, I sing the sad song of parting. ♫ ♫ Twilight is tardy, spring is late. ♫ ♫ With graceful reasoning, like it had been empty dream, with sighs. ♫ ♫ Let it flow away with the river of time. ♫ ♫ Vast years apart, with no clear date of return or hope, ♫ ♫ Regretfully not admitting the care held deep within my heart. ♫ ♫ Moonlight flows like water, washing away the pretentiousness of the past affairs. ♫ ♫ Sincerity now is the only thing left to depend upon. ♫ ♫ In the endless night, I cannot put down the gray hairs to pursue youth. ♫ ♫ Nor dare to look at you quietly from afar. ♫ ♫ If we can have another lifetime together, may we both be commoners. ♫ ♫ Reunited, and again pledging faithfully to stand by each other. ♫