♫ The sounds from the sheng and xiao die away in the distance, in the sparse, declining light ♫
(T/N reed instrument made of vertical pipes; end-blown flute) ♫ Memories of my past, my companions in youth. ♫ ♫ Over boundless years, old affairs have become difficult to recall. ♫ ♫ I’ve used a lifetime of truth to put up a pretense. ♫ ♫ Parting without opening these cupped hands full of tears. ♫ ♫ Clears my vision and permits me to resist ♫ ♫ Perhaps when targeted by love it is not wise to separate ♫ ♫ The morning wind can not dispel the aftermath. ♫ ♫ Whose hidden tears made the blooming flowers blush, ♫ ♫ And in the desolate and dreary torrential storms to painfully droop low, ♫ ♫ Unwilling to blossom again alone? ♫ ♫ The coming day belongs to the young. ♫ ♫ As the glimmer of dawn becomes again the setting sun. ♫ ♫ Who is this person who does not sleep soundly in the middle of the night? ♫ ♫Sitting and watching the autumn wind puff out and penetrate the palace curtains. ♫ ♫One strand held in remembrance, shackling sentiment and concern. ♫ ♫ Always submerged in the fragrant incense of fleeting time ♫ Ruyi’s Royal Love in the Palace Episode 16 Lianxin, now there’s no one else. Say what you want to say. Your Majesty, Her Highness the Empress actually meant well originally. She wanted me to have a pairing for the rest of my life. So she granted me to Wang Qin as his wife. But who would have known that Wang Qin is less than a beast. Each time after he takes that medicine, he beats me, ridicules me and shames me. Wang Qin does that! But why didn’t you tell Her Highness the Empress to give you justice? With what shame do I tell others about this? And I didn’t wish to bring dirt to Her Highness the Empress’ ears. Moreover, Wang Qin said if I dare to leak a word to the outside, he will make my life worse than being dead. Your Majesty, Wang Qin is shameless. He is an ingrate against Your Majesty and the Empress’ grace. But why today? Today, Wang Qin wasn’t on duty. He started to take medicine as soon as he returned to the salon. I saw him like that from outside the window. I was too scared to go back. Wang Qin was probably like that because the medicine took effect and he couldn’t find me. So he became crazed and ran out. Wang Qin is despicable. Your Majesty must act to defend me as my lord! Your Majesty. Your Majesty, Jin Zhong went to search Eunuch Wang’s room and found a box of pills. Take it to Physician Qi to see. This is the Ajisu pill. Your Majesty, since Eunuch Wang got married, he’s been bragging about having a wife before us nonstop. It was actually because of such filthy things. Your Majesty, you must silence Wang Qin’s mouth. Don’t allow him to speak words to taint me when he’s awake. I never want to see that cheap servant in the palace again! Your Majesty, you must find justice for me, to get rid of this shame! Li Yu, have someone take hemp cord and bind Wang Qin’s mouth, and break one of his legs, and chase him out of the palace to live as a beggar. Yes. Your Majesty! Alright. I’ve dealt with Wang Qin now. You stop crying now. That wretch Wang Qin deserves more than death. You’re only breaking one of his legs, that’s too easy on him. Noble Consort, you were startled tonight. Go rest up. – Your Majesty!
– Go now. Yes. Your Majesty, Wang Qin is at grave fault in this. Lianxin was only an innocent victim. May you remember her service to Her Highness the Empress for many years and spare her from punishment. Get up first. I won’t seek blame from Lianxin. Lianxin, I nullify you and Wang Qin’s marriage as of today. If you want to leave the palace to visit your family, I approve. If I leave the palace, my siblings have no one to depend on. Their lives aren’t easy. I would rather stay at Changchun Palace to serve. You don’t blame the Empress? Her Highness the Empress never knew what Wang Qin was like. I don’t blame her. Fine then. Go now. Your Majesty, there’s another matter. Tell me. I know the rumors about Noble Lady Mei clearly weren’t spread by Consort Xian. It was that day when Wang Qin took medicine and got drunk, and spoke of it nonsensically. But it was because I was tortured by Wang Qin and my siblings were being threatened, so I never dared to speak. May you forgive me, Your Majesty. May you forgive me, Your Highness. What you have said is all true? It’s all true. May Your Highness Consort Xian forgive me. May Your Highness Consort Xian forgive me. May Your Highness forgive me. It was Wang Qin? Then why did the palace men say it came out of Yanxi Palace? Yanxi Palace is a place Wang Qin must pass by on his way to our salon. That night he was drunk, and laid by the road outside Yanxi Palace and spoke nonsense. It was I who dragged him back. It was because of that and others heard him, they thought it came out of Yanxi Palace. Wang Qin realized he spoke nonsense when he woke up, and blamed it on Yanxi Palace. He blamed it on Her Highness Consort Xian. What you said is all true? I don’t dare to speak nonsense. Not many know of this incident. Neither Your Majesty nor Her Highness the Empress would tell me this. I never had any dealings with Yanxi Palace either. If it weren’t for Wang Qin blabbering and I found out, who else would have told me? – Li Yu.
– I’m here. The hemp rope in Wang Qin’s mouth is not to be removed even in death! Let him never speak recklessly again. Your Majesty, wasn’t it to punish… Now to put him to death — Let all the eunuchs of the palace gather by the Office of Careful Punishment and watch how Wang Qin dies. Let’s see who else is not afraid of death and taints the harem! Yes. You fool. It wasn’t you. But you consented to confining yourself to Yanxi Palace. My heart aches. Your Majesty, you needn’t have heartache. In order to spare Your Majesty from being in a difficult predicament in the harem, and because you are always giving careful consideration to me thoroughly, no matter how many rumors, I am willing to endure. I’ve never truly suspected you. The attachment between you and I, no one in the harem can compare to you. You were compromised. The stars spread out everywhere tonight are such a sight. Jiangnan’s scenery is what I want to see the most. In the future, I will take you to go see the soft blue of the sky and the green of the river, peach blossoms raining down. The place I like will surely contain you. As long as I can be with you, no matter where I go, it will all be divine. I will kill you, you ingrate! Am I not nice to you usually? Last night, why did no one come to help! H-He’s the deputy chief eunuch. I didn’t dare! It’s all my fault. Kill me. He’s the deputy chief and you people don’t care then? You won’t come? I…I was outside the door. That kind of shame I endured. Everyone saw it! All laughing at my expense! You are a bunch of ingrates. How do you allow me to face His Majesty in the future? How do I face His Majesty? A bunch of useless things. Get lost, all of you! Get lost! Yes. That bastard Wang Qin must die! Yes, he must die. – He must die!
– Yes, he must die. His Majesty granted a hemp rope in his mouth not to be removed even in death. He already died last night. Good, he’s dead! He died, and he won’t bother us anymore. Yes. Wang Qin wouldn’t have spilled anything, right? His family is on the outskirts. Lord Gao is there. He’d be afraid to drag his family into this. He wouldn’t have talked. Is that so? It’s none of our business then. I’m not happy with Consort Xian! Who gives her the right to raise the First Prince instead of me? I wanted to adopt him first. His Majesty takes sides with her. He’s biased in letting her adopt him. That’s why I was forced to think of this solution to pull Consort Xian down and take back the adoption rights of First Prince. In the end, this is what happened. I don’t have a child. If I had a child, I wouldn’t have lost His Majesty’s favor. If His Majesty sees that I have a child, he won’t ignore me either. Noble Consort is making trouble out of nothing and insisted on going to Yanxi Palace. That’s how she was knocked down by Wang Qin. No wonder His Majesty was angry and kept his distance from Noble Consort Hui. With one look, he saw his beloved Consort being humiliated by a eunuch and had her clothes messed up. Wouldn’t he be angry? But, Your Highness the Empress, you may not know. His Majesty was not only angry with Noble Consort Hui over this. About the birth of Noble Lady Mei, the rumor came from Noble Consort Hui. Wang Qin has always been in control of the Noble Consort. It’s hard to say that he didn’t know. It’s not the first time that Noble Consort Hui has framed Consort Xian because of First Prince. Frankly, with her under Your Highness the Empress’ care, why must she insist on fighting for First Prince? It can be clearly seen that the Noble Consort has been disloyal. To let that obnoxious Wang Qin harass Lianxin, I think we really can’t control her. Lianxin is very pitiful. It’s a pity that she couldn’t control Wang Qin. We have wasted a good pawn. She is now with His Majesty’s Li Yu. If we want to find out what’s on His Majesty’s mind, it will be extremely difficult now. I made a mistake regarding Lianxin but for the time being, we can’t let her leave here, In case she tells His Majesty about us using her to control Wang Qin to find out what’s on His Majesty’s mind. His Majesty absolutely hates others spying on him. I was thinking. Even if Lianxin leaves the palace, her younger brother and sister are in our hands. We are not afraid that she will talk. Forget it. It’s also good if she’s willing to remain here. Stop doing such evil deeds. Just let her serve outside the Hall. If Your Highness sees her, you will be aggrieved again. Mistress. It has been a long time since His Majesty went to Xianfu Palace. She has become smarter from her mistakes. Noble Consort couldn’t control herself. She said that she was passing through and wanted to take a look. What a joke. I had thought it was the Her Highness the Empress who made the match to create that couple. This should have been done by Empress so for her to be startled by it would’ve been better. The Empress values rules. She wouldn’t talk about Noble Lady Mei’s child. It could be Wang Qin. But Wang Qin wouldn’t randomly talk about it either. Someone must be secretly behind this. But how did you guess that it was the Noble Consort? At first, I didn’t get it until Noble Consort wanted to take away Yonghuang. Since there is someone who wanted to try so hard to frame me that much, naturally, they are thinking of their own benefits. Since they want me to be punished for Noble Lady Mei’s baby, and let His Majesty and Her Highness be disgusted and take away Yonghuang. These two benefits look too much like the mindset of Noble Consort. She was also gloating outside the gate of Yanxi Palace. Of course, I guessed it was her. Ultimately, your guess was still correct. It was also due to Li Yu and Lianxin’s hard work. Li Yu found a loophole at the Office of Careful Punishment. And also delayed Wang Qin’s time of departure until Lianxin spoke the truth about Wang Qin, and got the facts from Noble Consort Hui. Noble Consort is very evil too. She framed you and you didn’t even report her. With her family background, it’s not that easy to touch her. Moreover, if we report her to His Majesty, it will only cause him to talk about hurtful events which he doesn’t want to. In any case, Noble Consort has been lectured, Wang Qin has been punished and Lianxin has been saved too. The injustice towards you have been cleared too. Four problems have been solved with one shot. Yes, it has solved my dilemma, solved Lianxin’s predicament and eliminated the matters between a palace maid and an eunuch. Mistress. Were you really not been worried at all? You volunteered to be confined. But at that time, you didn’t even know whether Li Yu and Lianxin could complete their tasks. What if the Noble Consort slanders you and creates rumors about you again? It will be difficult for His Majesty to protect you then. Of course, I was worried. Hence, I made a bet. I bet whether that person would spill it out. At that moment, I was detained in Yanxi Palace. Because they thought that I was being confined, they would relax their guards. We will be able to succeed this way. Mistress, you are very smart and wise. But, Mistress, will Lianxin reveal this? Lianxin made a lot of effort this time. Moreover, we only used a way to churn out the truth. We didn’t falsely accuse anyone. Lianxin has always wanted to leave Wang Qin. She has fulfilled her wish. Yes. Mistress, Mistress. Mistress! Greetings to Your Majesty. Mistress. I deserve to die. It’s me. Where is His Majesty? His Majesty? His Majesty… Did you tell him that I was unwell? I told him. He said to let Imperial Physician Qi attend to you and let you nurse your health. He also said that… He also said that he will visit you when he has the time. Wang Qin humiliated me. I’m still suffering from it. His Majesty hasn’t seen me for several days. His Majesty has never treated me this way. Is he still angry with me? He wouldn’t. If His Majesty is angry with you, would he still get Imperial Physician Qi to attend to you? He definitely dotes on you. Regarding this incident, he even blamed the Empress for making Lianxin marry Wang Qin and creating this upheaval. But Her Highness has a son and a daughter. A married couple gets along with each other. Unlike me. I don’t even have a child. When His Majesty wants to behave coldly towards me, he can just do it. Although you don’t have a child but you have a family. His Majesty values Lord Gao. He wouldn’t ignore you. My father. I want to write my father a letter and ask him to plead on my behalf to His Majesty. Noble Consort really asked Lord Gao to plead on her behalf? Yes. By doing this, Lord Gao would not be wise. But it is clear Consort Xian has won beautifully for this round. Consort Xian is becoming someone of substance. Empress Dowager, there is a decree I would like to request from you. What is it? Noble Consort said that her medicines are not effective. She would like Imperial Physician Qi to change the prescription. It’s the same whether she changes it or not. How did you comply with her in the past? No need to go to all that trouble. I understand. Noble Lady Yi is pregnant. This is my reward to you. Thank you, Empress Dowager. I will not disappoint your hopes. In the Shijing, a true noble son comes by the hooves of qilin. (T/N Book of Songs, one of the Five Classics; mythological chimeric beast said to herald arrival or departure of great rulers or sages) The qilin is a lucky beast which brings children to the family. Consort Xian is right. Noble Lady Yi, I hope that you will give birth to a son for His Majesty. Yes, Empress Dowager. Royal Mother’s gift is very unique. The Empress is not fond of opulent items. I’m presenting Noble Lady Yi with this pair of golden qilin locks. You won’t complain that I’m confused, right? Royal Mother has good intentions. I won’t think that way. Moreover, Noble Lady Yi is pregnant. Royal Mother cherishes Noble Lady Yi, just like I do. It’s a virtue to have peace and harmony in the palace. A few days ago, because of that marriage, it has caused a storm in a tea cup. His Majesty’s Wang Qin was sentenced to death. What Royal Mother reproached me for, I did it with good intentions. I never expected it would bring about such a disaster. I’m too ashamed to show my face. You are kind, but you must remember this. In everything, we must not harm heaven’s harmony. I have reminded you many times. The palace needs to nuture the emperor’s offspring. You attend to trivial matters and ignore the essential matters. This shouldn’t be the case. I admit my mistake. Informing the Empress Dowager. Her Highness has been busy with the matters of the royal heirs. She has been instructing Imperial Physicians to brew medicines to help conceive and support it. She has been delivering them to the various palaces every day. I received her kindness and am very grateful to Her Highness the Empress. Rise, and be seated. – Yes, Royal Mother.
– Thank you, Empress Dowager. Be done with it then. Emperor. A few days ago, I ordered for the stars to be read to seek an auspicious day. Did the astronomer inform Your Majesty of the results? He said that the astronomical phenomenon will be fortuitous. Especially, the Northern Goddess constellation is carrying a small star at its tail. The moon will be very bright for several months. This means there will be a birth in the harem. I’m happy with this. The female star is like a bat. It’s destined to bring good luck. Seems like Noble Lady Yi’s baby will be a great blessing. There shouldn’t be any more collisions with death in the palace. I understand what you said. I will let Noble Lady Mei recuperate well. I would like to request a favor from Royal Mother and His Majesty. Noble Lady Yi has served His Majesty for many years. She should be promoted. After she has given birth, regardless of whether it’s a boy or girl, I will promote her as an Imperial Concubine. Your Highness the Empress. The Jingyang Palace that Noble Lady Yi has been living in, it hasn’t been painted for a long time. The dark and gloomy place is not suitable for a baby. If we could renovate it, it will be more comfortable for her to live there. Well done. Royal Mother, I will do a good job of renovating Jingyang Palace and let her take care of her fetus well. This is a good idea. Thank you, Empress Dowager, Your Highness the Empress. Thank you, Noble Lady Jia for your care. Consort Xian can assist with the six palaces and take care of Noble Lady Yi too. Your Majesty. You did an excellent job in raising Yonghuang. I can see that you can take very good care of people. Your Majesty, there is still Noble Consort Hui above Consort Xian. If you throw away Noble Consort and let Consort Xian help with the six palaces, I’m afraid that Noble Consort Hui may not be able to take it well. Moreover, Consort Xian is still young. Empress, being steady in managing tasks doesn’t depend on status or seniority. Noble Consort is in poor health. Isn’t she not here today too? Let’s talk again when she feels much better. Although Consort Xian can share your burden, but she’s still not familiar with the matters of the harem. You should give her more guidance. Yes. Then, Consort Xian, since the Emperor thinks highly of you, you should learn more. I will obey. Your Majesty.
[ Cining Gate ] Your Majesty, regarding Lianxin, it was definitely my oversight. I know my mistake. Empress, you are my official wife. I know that you don’t have an evil heart but there are certain things that you don’t need to do anything further about. Don’t offend the Empress Dowager and make her criticize you. Don’t let the six palaces be restless either. I understand. You don’t need to blame yourself. Just take it as a lesson learned. Yes. Sending Your Majesty off with honor. Your Highness. His Majesty gave Consort Xian the right to manage the six palaces. I’m really furious about this. Your Highness, don’t think too much about this. The incident regarding Wang Qin just happened. It will be okay after this has passed. Also, Royal Mother didn’t give me face just now. I’m not good enough. Empress Dowager’s mind is unpredictable. This has caused you to suffer. Greetings to Your Majesty. What were you reading that you were so engrossed? Her Highness the Empress gave me the past ledger books. She wanted me to learn from these. These ledger books are cumbersome. It must be tiring looking at them. It’s okay. I have almost read them all. I need to praise Her Highness the Empress for being wise. Why do you say this? The late Emperor in his elder years had the same number of imperial concubines as Your Majesty did immediately after your coronation. Once Your Majesty ascended the throne, the expenditure for the harem has been cut by half. It’s recorded very clearly here. I can see that Her Highness the Empress is very thrifty. You finished these that fast? This should be the chore of the House of Internal Affairs and you understood this? How could I have read them all? I only chose the two years before Your Majesty ascended to the throne. and also the results of the two years after the late Emperor passed away. Comparatively, the Empress is more effective in managing the palace. You are very astute. I have indeed found the right person to manage the six palaces. “Those who know are not as good as those who are good. Those who are good are not as good as those who are happy. People above the middle level can tell him to be highly-knowledgeable. Those who are.. below the medium level…” Yonglian. Yonglian, you are sleepy again. Go and wash your face. Royal Mother, it’s really very tiring to get up early every morning. I want to sleep. It has always been hard for princes to study. You are the son of the Empress (“first wife”). You should not lag behind everyone else. I know that it’s very tough for you. That’s why I’m keeping you company. Let’s take a look at it again. Okay? Royal Mother… When did you become so rebellious and disobedient? Go to the entrance and wake yourself up. Your Highness. Although it’s spring it’s still cold out there. No matter what, I must wake him up. Xiefang Hall rooms that serve the Second Prince are not allowed to be too warm either, isn’t it so? Stand over here. Your Highness. Do you know your mistake now? I know my mistake. Did you catch a cold? Your hands are very cold. Good child, I’m doing this for your own good. You are the son of the Empress, the first wife. If I don’t struggle for you, who can I still place hopes on? Okay, go in with me now. Mistress, look at the snake. See how obedient it is. Look at it. Come, spit out your tongue for Mistress. Come, spit out your tongue for Mistress. Come! This…This is not shocking enough. This snake is rather lazy. Mistress, let me tell you. When it’s summer, if you wrap the snake around your neck, it’s very cooling. The awakening of the insects is not here yet. Be careful with your snake. Don’t let it go and hurt anyone. Don’t worry, Mistress. This snake is not poisonous. It can’t harm anyone. Mistress, this is the freshly-cooked silver-ear tree fungus soup. Try it. It moisturizes the lungs and warms the stomach. Mistress, the pipa has just been restrung. Try the sound. It has been a long time since we heard you playing this. It’s really our honor. When we hear you playing the pipa, not only do we love to listen, even these two peacocks love to listen too. Who knows? When these peacocks are happy, they will spread their feathers. Your Majesty. Your Majesty! Your Highness. His Majesty is at Yanxi Palace tonight. Your Highness, I will get you a cup of water. Sulian, do you think His Majesty treats me well? Extremely well. You are the Empress and you have a son and daughter too. Don’t tell me he treats me well just because of this? Of course not. In the past, he used to call me by my maiden name, Langhua. I wonder when His Majesty started calling me “Empress”. It has been a long time since I heard His Majesty call me by my maiden name. Your Highness, the night is not suitable for thinking. It may harm your health. I dreamed again at midnight. When I realized that he’s not with me, how could I not be sad? Your Highness, you are a phoenix. You don’t need to be like the other Imperial Concubines and be sad about this. When you are holding the phoenix position, you need to defend it day and night. Take care of this position and don’t let others take it away. Because if I let someone else take away my position, not only I can’t protect my future, my son and daughter will be dragged down with me too. Would I still have the face to see the Fuca clan? Your Highness, it has been tough on you. Your Highness the Empress! Enter. Your Highness, the momos from Xiefeng Hall are here to make a report. Second Prince has caught a cold and he’s having a high fever. Please go and take a look now. Yonglian. What? Yonglian never had asthma. I believe this illness was brought upon by weakness as a fetus. Some people have sturdy constitutions and will not suffer an outbreak in a lifetime. Some people are naturally weak and are unable to suppress it when they are a babies. They will get it again. Second Prince is frustrated and anxious. He also caught a chill. That’s why the hidden illness in his body was activated. Can you cure him? Imperial Physician Qi, no matter how, you must cure Yonglian. If he can be raised properly, he can maintain good health. If we are not careful and cautious… What will happen? Second Prince has the gods watching over him and he will surely be healed. You are a physician and you still need to rely on the heavens? My pitiful Yonglian. Your Highness, don’t be sad. You must cheer up and take care of Second Prince. Imperial Physician Qi, we will need to rely on you regarding Second Prince’s health. I will do my best to protect his health. Your Highness, I’m going to prescribe the medicines for him now. You can leave now. Yonglian has grown up and he has this incurable illness. Sulian, what should I do? Your Highness, don’t panic. We have the Imperial Physician in the palace. If it’s really bad, we can tell Old Madam to look outside the palace for special medicines by the divine physician. Nothing bad will happen to Second Prince. I know how potent asthma is. When my cousin had asthma, he couldn’t ride horses and shoot arrows. He needed to be very careful of his health. It’s fine for a commoner but Yonglian is the son of the first wife. He is the hope of His Majesty. He can’t practice martial arts. How can we count on him in the future? Second Prince is smart. He can still learn culture and language. If he can do literature but can’t do military arts, how can he compete against the First Prince? How can he assist His Majesty? What a pitiful child. He will have to suffer with this illness for life and fall behind others. Thinking about this, I’m scared. I will be busy with the Imperial court. When you have the time, visit Noble Lady Yi more often. Noble Lady Mei had an accident. I don’t want the same thing to happen to Noble Lady Yi too. Your Majesty, don’t worry. Raise the sedan chair. When you lost favor, you were embroidering. Now that you have regained His Majesty’s favor again, aren’t you extremely busy with other tasks and you are still embroidering? Sometimes, when you lose favor, you can be at peace and remain calm. When you have regained favor again, you must remind yourself not to be frustrated. When you make a mistake in the embroidery, you will destroy everything. You will prick yourself too. Thus, you must be patient and concentrate. You must not make any mistakes. What you said makes sense. Drink this honey tea for clearing heat and moisturizing dryness. Okay. When you are calm, it’s more stable to do tasks. The kitchen left some spring honey for clearing heat and cooling the blood. Take some and deliver it to Noble Lady Yi. Scholar tree flowers are very delicate. (T/N Sophora japonica) They are plucked from hundreds of trees and not that easily steamed. We could only get two small earthen jars of nectar from them. We would then heat it with honey from the wild bees. All in all, it’s only just a small amount and you are going to use it as a good deed. If Noble Lady Yi can deliver the baby safely, His Majesty will then be able to resolve the knots in his heart regarding Noble Lady Mei’s baby. Talking about this, Noble Lady Mei and Noble Lady Yi are from a humble background. They could serve His Majesty and turn their lives around, get pregnant and win His Majesty’s favor. Are you jealous? I’m not. I’m just speaking at random. Mistress, this is the freshly brewed medicine for helping conceive. Drink it while it’s hot. It’s really hard to drink. Sanbao, what are you doing? Mistress, you may not know this. Today is the day of awakening for insects. The snakes, bugs and rats are coming out. If we spread lime powder, they won’t dare to run all over the place. Hurry up. Place it here slowly. Be gentle. Greetings to Your Highness Consort Xian. The colors are very festive. Exactly. Her Highness the Empress instructed that the colors must be festive so that it will be lucky. Your Highness Consort Xian, take a look. The beams and columns are painted in gold. They look very fresh. You made a lot of effort. Is Noble Lady Yi in there? She was very tired and went to the warm room to rest. Your Highness, Consort Xian, this way, please. – It’s Noble Lady Yi’s voice.
– Attendants! Go and take a look now. – Your Highness Consort Xian! Consort Xian, help me.
– There is a snake. There is a snake. This is a poisonous snake, a poisonous snake! – Is there any realgar powder?
– Yes. We always prepare this. Go and get it now. Don’t panic. He’s getting the realgar powder. ♫Intoxicated by the falling flower petals in the plum garden♫ ♫ as if this life were our first time we have met. ♫ ♫ Black silken hair reflecting the frosty moonlight, ♫ ♫ Hands joined together, for our innumerable mortal lives. ♫ ♫ The burden of concern on my mind has paled rose-kissed cheeks, ♫ ♫ Yearning now turns into confusion. ♫ ♫ Glistening teardrops cover the pledge, ♫ ♫ joining hands for a lifetime, when in the past did he change it? ♫ ♫ Flowers start out blossoming in splendor, but are easily destroyed ♫ ♫ Who is that plucking on qin (zither) strings? ♫ ♫ When love becomes deep, people are prone to separate. ♫ ♫ Alone, I sing the sad song of parting. ♫ ♫ Twilight is tardy, spring is late. ♫ ♫ With graceful reasoning, like it had been empty dream, with sighs. ♫ ♫ Let it flow away with the river of time. ♫ ♫ Vast years apart, with no clear date of return or hope, ♫ ♫ Regretfully not admitting the care held deep within my heart. ♫ ♫ Moonlight flows like water, washing away the pretentiousness of the past affairs. ♫ ♫ Sincerity now is the only thing left to depend upon. ♫ ♫ In the endless night, I cannot put down the gray hairs to pursue youth. ♫ ♫ Nor dare to look at you quietly from afar. ♫ ♫ If we can have another lifetime together, may we both be commoners. ♫ ♫ Reunited, and again pledging faithfully to stand by each other. ♫