This film is very dear to me.
At that time people wanted to see inspiring,
cheerful films. ‘Jolly Fellows’ met the demands
of the time.’ Grigory Alexandrov A Musical-Comedy. Moscow, 1934. A Moscow Film production Charlie Chaplin Harold Lloyd Buster Keaton aren’t appearing in the film. Appearing in the film: Leonid Utesov Lyubov Orlova – Anyuta Maria Strelkova – Elena and Maria Ivanovna JOLLY FELLOWS The Utesov jazz Band E.Tyapkina – Step-Mother
F.Kurikhin – Driver G.Arnold – Conductor from Paraguay
R.Erdman – Music Instructor Directed by Grigory Alexandrov Written by N.Erdman
V.Mass, G.Alexandrov Music – Isaak Dunayevsky Sound – Nikolai Timartsev Sets – Aleksei Utkin JOLLY FELLOWS ‘CLEAR SPRINGS’ A happy song
Makes your heart feel light, And never makes you bored, They love songs in the villages And in the cities. A song helps us live, It calls out like a friend, If you sing your way through life, You’ll never lose your way. If you sing your way through life, You’ll never lose your way. A happy song
Makes your heart feel light, And never makes you bored, They love songs in the villages And in the cities… Gutten morgen, Karl Ivanych! If you sing your way through life, You’ll never lose your way. We sing and laugh like children, Through unending struggle and toil, This is how we’re born, We’ll never give up. A song helps us live, It calls out like a friend, If you sing your way through life, You’ll never lose your way. Fall in! Hi, guys! Kolka! – The list!
– Here it is! Chamberlain! Secretary! Bureaucrat! Professor! Maria Ivanovna! Maria Ivanovna! English girls! Swiss girls! Dutch girls! At ease! Doner Vetter! What music! Your hands should be
cut off for that. You Germans are
a hot-headed bunch. You call that music? You should play like our cobbler! Don’t nag, Karl Ivanych. I can’t play like our cobbler. He’s been here six years
and this is only my second. Zilence! Take der fiddle und play! – Play what?
– This one… – Well…
– The notes have flown away. Costa Fraschini! Costa Fraschini! – Fraschini! A composer?
– A conductor. Arrived today. Mama! I’m coming! Where is he? There he is, in the foreign robe! Now I’ll introduce myself. Don’t embarrass yourself! Don’t worry, I’ll be subtle. You’ll… …never lose… …your way. Gut. Enough for today. What a robe! Pardon, comrade! Is the water warm today? – Yes.
– Let’s get acquainted. Hey, look, a real fish! My mom adores your music. So young, so talented. – How is that?
– Habit. And what’re you going to play now? I’ll rework some Beethoven. – Who?
– Beethoven. How I envy him! So where do you live? Over there, in Clear Springs. – …at the top.
– Nice set-up. You live alone? Not boring? Alone? Not at all, there’s the Professor, the Secretary, some Dutch girls, some Swiss girls. We give concerts from time to time. – Pretty?
– Who? – Dutch girls.
– They’re really chic! What figures! And eyes! What eyes! – So you care for them?
– You bet! All the time! Ah, to be in their place! And what do you do? I’m a singer. A singer! Sing something! – Here, now?
– Yeah! It’s awkward in a bathing suit. But if you could… – What?
– Come to our place. I will! Where do you live? – At the Black Swan.
– Nice set up! I’ll introduce you to my mother. – She won’t curse us out?
– Oh, no! She’ll die of happiness! OK, if she dies, I’ll come. So, 7 o’clock, I’ll be waiting. What a woman! You could get killed round here! I performed in this frock-coat… …in Stuttgart in ’93. What I used to be forty years ago… You’re performing… …in public today. Conduct yourself well. Pension for Disorganized Spa
Visitors. Formerly the Black Swan – He’s still not here?
– No. We should send for him – who’ll go? I will, only for you! When he gets here, we’ll start. He loves me, loves me not. Let me tell your fortune. No, yes, no… I’ll go to him myself
and find out… I’m sad, but why, My heart, how will I live? Why can we love Only one in this life? My heart beating in my breast
like a bird. Wants to know what’s ahead Wants happiness. Singing happiness like a starling, Life is warm and bright, If I had ten hearts I’d give them all to him. My heart beating in my breast
like a bird, Wants to know what’s ahead, Wants happiness. Loves me, loves me not.
I’ll go to him myself. And find out… How many times do I have to tell you
not to let a draft in! – I have a voice to protect!
– I do too! And don’t raise it around me! – Why aren’t you dressed?
– Didn’t have time. But I had time? Go change now! Maestro… – Why don’t you come in?
– I’m… I’m not alone,
they’re waiting for me. Nonsense, come in, all of you. All of us? No, better another time. Come in now! You promised! Let me have a word with the others, we’ll see. Hi there! The maestro’s here! Welcome! Maestro, come in please! Let me introduce you to my mother. – Nice to meet you!
– Absolutely! – What is it?
– Must be a bad chair. – Nice to meet you!
– What is it? What’s going on? Nothing.
Just thinking what a disaster it would be
if our farm women… – What?
– No hands. Couldn’t milk the cows! Let’s dance! Maestro! Come on, then! Maestro, why’d you run away? Is something tying you up? – Is it obvious that I’m tied up?
– You obviously prefer being tied up to my company. – Tied up where?
– Near the window. Oh, the window… I thought you
meant how I was all tied up… – You didn’t notice?
– No. – That I was tied up?
– It just seemed like it. Only seemed!
Don’t scare me like that! And I thought you’d noticed… What a strange one you are. Let’s go dance! You go ahead, I’ll join you. All right, go on. We’ll have a drink together. – What’s that?
– A drink! Where’re you going? – How is it?
– Strong! Could knock out an ox! When will I see you again? I can’t tomorrow, haircut. Let’s meet at the oak in the evening. Ok? You’ll come? Yes! I think my heart’s going to burst! Maestro, won’t you play us
something? Please, Maestro! I don’t have my violin…
I’ll play this. I can’t see a thing
without my glasses. Dinner is served. It’ll be good to have a bite! Maestro, please have a seat! Anyuta! Where’s Anyuta? Now! Some ammonia, please! The bedroom. Out! Get out! Maestro! What’s happened to you? – God! Who’s that?
– Never seen this before! This is a well-done toy…
Like it’s alive! They’re made better abroad. Really is this a ewe? True, there’s something with
the head, but the tail looks right. By the way, I’d like a memento of this evening. Have you any cards? I do, but it’s small. Please be so kind as to autograph it… – Huh?
– Your autograph. Elena, I’d do anything for you, but I haven’t got one! Maestro! Where are you now? Careful! Tigers! Heavens, who’s that? It’s me. – Where from?
– From Fraschini’s place. – But he’s here.
– No, he’s there. What do you mean there,
when here he is! Not him. Who are you? Me? Kostya Potekhin. – Potekhin?
– A shepherd. – What, a shepherd?
– That’s right. – An ordinary shepherd?
– No, I’m in charge! – Young man…
– Call Lena! My daughter doesn’t talk
to shepherds! I hope… …that this misunderstanding
stays between us. Take it and leave! But you yourself invited me! We thought you were a musician,
not a shepherd! Today a shepherd,
tomorrow a musician! Then come back tomorrow. And now get lost! So many pretty girls, So many pretty names, But only one moves you, When you’re in love. Love is always unexpected, And every evening Is so beautiful, And you sing… My heart, you want no peace, My heart it’s good to live, It’s good you’re how you are, For knowing how to love! My heart, you want no peace, My heart it’s good to live, It’s good you’re how you are, For knowing how to love! – Konstantin Ivanych!
– Me? Elena Sergeevna sent me. Lena? Wait a minute,
I’ve seen you before. – And I’ve seen you a lot.
– Where? Mornings. I go for milk and you
and your herd pass by. You’re crazy! Here’s a mosquito,
Konstantin Ivanych. There are a lot of them here. And why didn’t she come herself? – Who?
– Lena. Is this your permanent residence? – She’s angry at me.
– How’d you learn to play so well? – Where’s Lena?
– I leave tomorrow. – And Lena?
– Today. She’s leaving? She’s left. She went by ship, and I’m
going by train tomorrow. She’s left! Here’s a big mosquito,
Konstantin Ivanych. A mosquito! And Lena’s left! – I was thinking…
– Thinking! That’s all I need! You came here
to kill mosquitoes. Konstantin Ivanych! Kostya! I’m sad but why? My heart, how will I live? Why can we love Only one in this life? My heart, beating in my breast like a bird, Wants to know what’s ahead, Wants happiness. Wants to know what’s ahead, Wants happiness. Singing happiness like a starling Life is warm and bright If I had ten hearts, I’d give them all to him. My heart, beating in my breast like a bird, Wants to know what’s ahead, Wants happiness. One month later A black hand moves cross
the clock face, As fast as a squirrel runs
in circles, Minutes skip by our daily cares, Off they go away
The moon has flown away. MUSIC HALL Symphonic Concert
of Costa Fraschini Franz Liszt. Hungarian Rhapsody Just how’s he going to conduct?
He’s never seen us! The audience’s getting agitated.
The conductor’s not here yet. Go calm them down! What are you standing here for? You, get over here! Hold this! Funny, we start in five minutes
and he’s not here. How can we play? No rehearsal, and they say
he’s eccentric. We have to follow every gesture,
every look. BACKSTAGE ACCESS FORBIDDEN Have you seen a guy in a short coat
and white hat? We missed him. This way, please! Diabolo! Can’t you see… Fool. A curious interpretation! Mama, we ran off the real one! Give it to me. Emma, I love you more
for those tears! Step back comrades!
Let down the curtain! Maestro, you must be angry with me, but it’s my mom’s fault.
I was so hurt! We’ll forgive the old woman. Nice to meet you! Shall we dine? There he is! Catch him! Time to start running. – That’s the one!
– He’s first rate! If only he’d join us… Turn him around! Hold him! So, you’ll join our orchestra? – Agreed?
– Agreed! Several months later The New Moon and the Full Moon
perform a circle-dance, Month-to-month all year, The heart bustles about
Not wanting to be late And wants so much to guess
Its happy fate. ‘Friendship’ band – What’re you playing?
– That wasn’t me. I can’t rehearse here, it’s throwing me off! It’s behind the wall. Hey, can’t you be quieter! It’s impossible to work here! You practice, I’ll go complain. Let’s rehearse. That’s not how you play it! Yes, it is! – He’s right!
– He’s not right! That’s how you play it! Yes, it is, got it! Play the way you want,
butterfingers! Comrade, we’re creative workers and we need complete silence and back there it’s one noise
after another! Comrade, take immediate action! Please, do it now! This is how you play it! You’ll see, comrade, it’s chaos. I think it’s somewhere else. I think it’s next to us. Maybe it’s your musicians,
Comrade Potekhin? Not at all, Comrade,
we’re creative workers. ‘Friendship’ band – Of course it’s your musicians.
– What do you mean… Mama mia! Creative workers… Silence… Deathly silence… What happened here? We were rehearsing. Rehearsing? One more rehearsal like this
and you’re out! We screwed up! First time we get to the Bolshoi Theater, and it’s out the door. Where are we going to rehearse? Nowhere to rehearse. I guess we won’t get
to perform… – I know where to rehearse.
– Where? Follow me, guys! Lena’s practicing! Lena! The eggs worked! Now they’ll take you at the Bolshoi! Lena… Lena, what is it? Comrades! The concert’s in 15 minutes! Hey! To the Bolshoi for 20 rubles! You joking? I’m off to the garage.
No less than 30! All right, let’s go! Guys, get in! This is a hearse! It’s not
made of rubber! We’re out of space! Hey! Hey, I’m driving here. Nice people! Are you hurt? Anyuta! Where are you going? – Don’t know.
– Come with us. – Don’t know.
– We’re off. Take her, guys! Who’s gonna pay? Pushkin? Pay for what? Excuse me, we made the trip, so pay up 30 rubles. Pay up! Gimme the money! You’re staying here till they pay up! Our concert program continues. Next, the Metal Laminating Ensemble will perform. Curtain! Where are you going? Sit down! What, it won’t play. Let me try. – Play!
– With what? Your lips! I’m freezing out here too! Put this on. Filimon, Filimon… Let’s see if I can’t find
a little something to drink. Hey, hey hang on, there won’t be enough
for the young lady. – Drink up!
– What! I don’t drink! Have drink or you’ll catch cold! – I don’t want to…
– Drink! Livelier! Make it merrier! Let’s go, young lady. Where to? You’re coming with me.
You’re the witness. – I’ll wait here.
– Let’s go, y’hear? Where are the guys? Wait here! Konstantin! Don’t refuse, comrades,
I got a witness! I apologize, but you ordered
a ride and we got here. 30 rubles. Get out your money!
I gotta go back for the corpse! Wait, let us do our job
and we’ll go return. – The corpse…
– The corpse is not going anywhere! Gimme the money! Anyuta, sing something! Sing! My heart, beating in my breast like a bird Wants to know what’s ahead, Wants happiness. Love is always unexpected, It comes as a surprise, And every evening Is so beautiful, And you sing. My heart, you want no peace, My heart it’s good to live, It’s good you’re how you are, For knowing how to love! For knowing how to love! Tok-tok-tok, The iron’s getting hot. Fell in love, made a mistake,
Met the wrong one, Got angry, looked around
and saw a beauty. Tok-tok-tok, The iron’s getting hot. Anyone can make a mistake,
We suffer for love But as the saying goes,
We learn from our mistakes Tok-tok-tok, The iron’s getting hot. I’m usually not jealous
But that’s changed. He’s going to be mine
And never leave my side. Anyuta, I’ve wanted to tell you
for a long time… Quit it! Anyuta… I’ve wanted… Quit it! Anyuta, I’ve wanted
to tell you… A song helps us live, It calls out like a friend. If you sing your way through life, You’ll never lose your way. A song helps us live, It calls out like a friend, If you sing your way through life, You’ll never lose your way. A song helps us live, It calls out like a friend, If you sing your way through life, You’ll never lose your way. If you sing your way through life, You’ll never lose your way. We sing and laugh like children, Through unending struggle and toil, This is how we’re born, We’ll never give up. It calls out like a friend, If you sing your way through life, If you sing your way through life, You’ll never lose your way.